Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We are planning a new pool build and were persuaded that a high end robot like the Dolphin would be the way to go. Now I'm concerned that the couple of red oak trees in the back yard might prove to be a problem for that kind of cleaner. Is there a way to deal with the acorns while keeping a robot, or should we look into another kind of cleaner altogether? We weren't even going to plumb for a pressure side cleaner, but maybe we should.

I figure we'll have to be manually scooping out leaves during the fall, and I'm also not sure how these cleaners handle leaves either. What do people do about acorns and does anyone have any tips for our situation? If we build what we are leaning towards, it will be a pretty big pool, lagoon shaped, 40x33x20 with an 8.5' deep end. Thanks!

We researched the heck out of all robot cleaners and bought the Dolphin s300i and could not be happier! The great thing about this model is that it has the largest opening we've seen to pick up large debris and also a large center section to hold it. There are also fine filters on the sides - so the best of both worlds. We have water oaks, a black walnut (never thought I could hate a tree) and tons of bamboo. Things are already falling and this little guy eats it all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to deal with the acorns while keeping a robot, or should we look into another kind of cleaner altogether?
Look into a leaf net. Robots simply don't do well picking up large items and acorns will easily jam in many robots.

Use your robots to clean dirt from your pool.....use your leaf net to remove large items that will give the robot trouble.

Thanks for the tips. Just so I'm sure what we're talking about... What is a leaf net? Is it a mesh cover for the pool that catches leaves, or something on a long pole for scooping? To which were you referring, Dave?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.