Need tricks for removing horizontal bars in an Intex Ultra Frame pool

Aug 2, 2015
Canby/OR
Hi everyone,

I desperately need help taking down our Intex Ultra Frame Pool. We bought our 12x24x52 pool in June, but had several side supports collapse a few days ago, just past the return date (of course). We've been taking the pool down while we wait for replacement parts (they are out of stock, of course). We can't seem to get the horizontal bars out of the liner sleeve. The liner is stuck to the bar -- it's almost like there is velcro in there. We can loosen the liner in one place, but it sticks in another. We've used compressed air, water under pressure but no luck.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of using a silicone spray on the bars when we set it up again, but that doesn't help me now.

Thanks,

You have to pry the liner away from the bar. I just used my fingers and yes, it is tedious work. However, after you get the first few off, it does get easier. Pry with your finger and lots of wiggling the bar.

Hi there, I would like to tell you about the same problem I had. I am an inventor/technician/engineer mostly in the electronic field but for this problem with the horizontal top support bar sticking to the liner sleeve, when I took my pool down I used a make shift "spoon", either soothed metal or wood to slide into the u-bar holes to separate them, also I would use torque at the end bar to twist the bar free so it will freely slide out. I may machine a smooth stainless spoon specifically for this purpose. I don't know if using corn starch will help with acting as an anti-sticking agent. Those bars support thousands of pound of pressure and their material is very very strong and there's a chemical adhesion that takes place over time that causes sticking, one of the "side effects" of using these exotic chemicals of water proof materials of very high tensile strength.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just went through this today and I came up with a really good solution (at least for my rectangular pool). I ran a piece of strong cord (I used strap material I had around) through the pocket until it was out both ends. Then I tied a loose loop using a bowline knot and worked it around the end so the loop was around the beam. I then tugged hard on the other end until the loop came all the way through (around the beam) . This broke off the stuck vinyl in about 5 minutes a side once I thought of it.

Should work on a round pool but I don't have one so I can't guarantee it.

I'm also having difficulties with this...

I have a Bestway 18'x9', the smaller end side bars were stuck, but with a little effort pulling on the liner I was able to get them unstuck.

The long sides are another story. What little I was able to unstick on one end looked to be leaving liner material on the pole (see Bestway pool liner stuck to horizontal poles - Album on Imgur)

Found BajanSailing's post above, thought it was a good idea... tried using para cord. Managed to get the first 12" or the other end of the side loose...but can't get any further.

Saw a post about using WD-40, I'm tempted...but I'm worried about it damaging the liner.

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much BajanSailing... I used this trick or yours with the cord and it worked perfectly.. I own a Coleman (INTEX) Rectangular Frame Pool, 22-ft x 12-ft x 52-inch and was struggling to find a way to release the tubes from the inner sleeves of our pool.. I will defiantly use something on the poles next year to avoid this from happening again. I can't thank you enough for posting this!!

I just went through this today and I came up with a really good solution (at least for my rectangular pool). I ran a piece of strong cord (I used strap material I had around) through the pocket until it was out both ends. Then I tied a loose loop using a bowline knot and worked it around the end so the loop was around the beam. I then tugged hard on the other end until the loop came all the way through (around the beam) . This broke off the stuck vinyl in about 5 minutes a side once I thought of it.

Should work on a round pool but I don't have one so I can't guarantee it.

Won't help today, but I coated my poles with coconut oil during installation. I had two poles collapse several weeks after installation, Intex replaced them, but everything was nice and lubricated! Best of luck to you!
FYI for anyone installing this pool, the ground MUST be level!

Wow, my poles were *spectacularly* stuck! I can laugh about it now, but 2 days ago I was almost going to pull out the hacksaw and write it off as a $1000 educational experience...

For anyone who ends up in a similar predicament, I can comment on all the remedies available on the 'net ...and offer a solution!
(And for anyone wondering just *how* stuck... so stuck that the vinyl would de-laminate before yielding its grip on the metal poles at all)

1. The string/noose slipped over the poles and pulled through the vinyl pocket. Worked nicely for the 'token' stuck portions. Was definitely faster than squatting down and prying up the vinyl with your fingertips.
2. WD-40 (Yep, I was that desperate). Didn't do *anything* .. beyond making it slimy to work with. I tried both the hydrocarbon and silicone varieties.
3. Water/hoses/soapy water. Did even less.
4. Bamboo/plastic pry-bars/mechanical 'encouragement'. Nup. The vinyl tore/punctured before yielding.
5. Epic amounts of swearing. Did wonders for the blood pressure, but nothing much for the vinyl!

Until.... The heat gun!

I jammed the nozzle of the Ryobi heat gun into the slots where the support frames went. I found I had to wear thin gloves as the metal soon became very hot to work at with the fingers.
With the metal heated to the point that is was just handle-able (through the gloves), the vinyl would *slowly* peel back from the poles by tugging at the loose sides of the pocket above the stuck region. When it stopped peeling, the heat gun was re-inserted and the process repeated.

It took 4 hours to free the poles this way, but in the end everything came apart without any (further) physical damage.

Next year... I'll be buying a truckload of coconut oil (thanks @JeaniB)!
Good luck :)

Wow, my poles were *spectacularly* stuck! I can laugh about it now, but 2 days ago I was almost going to pull out the hacksaw and write it off as a $1000 educational experience...

For anyone who ends up in a similar predicament, I can comment on all the remedies available on the 'net ...and offer a solution!
(And for anyone wondering just *how* stuck... so stuck that the vinyl would de-laminate before yielding its grip on the metal poles at all)

1. The string/noose slipped over the poles and pulled through the vinyl pocket. Worked nicely for the 'token' stuck portions. Was definitely faster than squatting down and prying up the vinyl with your fingertips.
2. WD-40 (Yep, I was that desperate). Didn't do *anything* .. beyond making it slimy to work with. I tried both the hydrocarbon and silicone varieties.
3. Water/hoses/soapy water. Did even less.
4. Bamboo/plastic pry-bars/mechanical 'encouragement'. Nup. The vinyl tore/punctured before yielding.
5. Epic amounts of swearing. Did wonders for the blood pressure, but nothing much for the vinyl!

Until.... The heat gun!

I jammed the nozzle of the Ryobi heat gun into the slots where the support frames went. I found I had to wear thin gloves as the metal soon became very hot to work at with the fingers.
With the metal heated to the point that is was just handle-able (through the gloves), the vinyl would *slowly* peel back from the poles by tugging at the loose sides of the pocket above the stuck region. When it stopped peeling, the heat gun was re-inserted and the process repeated.

It took 4 hours to free the poles this way, but in the end everything came apart without any (further) physical damage.

Next year... I'll be buying a truckload of coconut oil (thanks @JeaniB)!

FYI, I coated all of my poles with probably less than one cup of coconut oil! It didn't take much as it tends to thin out while applying. And, bonus of really soft hands afterwards!
Best of luck and enjoy your pool!

Until.... The heat gun!

Just realized I never followed up on my original post...but can confirm, heat helps. I used a 1800W hair dryer along with "safety-tip" Robo-grip pliers and the para-cord. Took hours over a couple of weekends for me to get it done by myself.

The following year, after consulting with my cousin who's a research physicist specializing in coatings & materials (on spacecraft no less ;) ), I applied some silicon spray lubricant to the poles as I assembled the pool.

That fall, the poles slid out easily. This spring I've also applied silicon spray.

Reactions: JeaniB
I had the same issue today. it took us four hours to remove the poles. We used WD40 and a broom handle. A blow dryer finally helped. some of blue inside liner ripped off and is stuck on the pole. will try the coconut oil or silicone spray on the pools next year. but, any advice as to whether the material is compromised? I'm wondering if we should even try setting it up again.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.