High sand filter pressure

Vapoolmom

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2009
Soooooo, the sand filter pressure has run around 18 for the last 6 years. I leave the pool open here, year round in Virginia so I can enjoy the beautiful water and not look at the cover!
This year, the pressure was running around 22ish- not a huge cause for concern. However, I replaced the capacitor a few days ago, and now the pressure is running 28-30. Definitely cause for concern as I have gone from 18 to 28 as my new "normal" pressure.
I have backwashed several times and today, I opened the filter and did the deep clean with the hose, with no improvement in the pressure reading. Still running around 28 :mad:
Gauge returns to zero when turned off and runs around 5 on recirculate. Pressure from the returns is strong on both filter and recirculate modes.
I have researched this site and cannot find a fix for my issue. Of course, we are about to leave on vacation and I want to resolve this before we leave. Many thanks in advance for your assistance!

I did consider the gauge might be broken, but it does go to zero when the pump is off. My other thought is there might be a blockage somewhere, but I'm not sure how to go about checking/ fixing that.

Soooooo, the sand filter pressure has run around 18 for the last 6 years. I leave the pool open here, year round in Virginia so I can enjoy the beautiful water and not look at the cover!
This year, the pressure was running around 22ish- not a huge cause for concern. However, I replaced the capacitor a few days ago, and now the pressure is running 28-30. Definitely cause for concern as I have gone from 18 to 28 as my new "normal" pressure.
I have backwashed several times and today, I opened the filter and did the deep clean with the hose, with no improvement in the pressure reading. Still running around 28 :mad:
Gauge returns to zero when turned off and runs around 5 on recirculate. Pressure from the returns is strong on both filter and recirculate modes.
I have researched this site and cannot find a fix for my issue. Of course, we are about to leave on vacation and I want to resolve this before we leave. Many thanks in advance for your assistance!
What "capacitor" did you change? Did you change anything else?

Is this a two speed pump? 3HP (in your signature) is a lot of pump, maybe the pump was running at a lower speed before the capacitor change?

Dom

Hi Dom, Yes, I agree that the pump is wayyyyyy big, but thankfully,it hasn't caused any trouble. It is a single speed. So, last week the pump wouldn't turn on and was tripping the breaker. So, I researched here and deduced that it was the capacitor. Sure enough, it was and fired right up. Coincidentally, the pressure rose to 28 and backwash and deep clean aren't making a difference. So, what now?..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.