A little help with algae?

Aug 2, 2015
Akron/OH
Hey, new here, and know jack about proper maintenance. We have a 12' pop-up pool. I've been able to keep the water clear most of the summer, gets cloudy, add some powder chlorine, etc. We went on vacation, and I covered the pool while we were gone. Water was fairly good-looking when we got back, but quickly got overgrown with swamp-like algae. Unfortunately I had to let it go for a few days until I could buy some chemicals. I did 2 shock treatments and only about 1/2 improvement so far. I know I should have a test kit, but I don't. I was just reading about the BBB methods. I have some baking soda & borax here already, any guesses on what I need without getting a test kit right away?
Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks!

Hi, welcome to TFP! Since you have a very small pool it would probably be easiest to dump the water and start over. We can give you advice to keep it clear the rest of the season. Once the pool is full add 1 cup of bleach per day to sanitize the pool. If you have any packets of dichlor left you could use 1/2 package 1 week and the rest of the package the next week and then save any other packets you may have til next season. Once you have used the whole packet go back to adding a cup of bleach per day. You do need to be able to test the water, so I would get a 6 way drop based kit. They usually have those at Walmart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.