Hayward super pump won't start up.

May 31, 2015
edison/nj
We recently bought a house and the pool with house was not in great shape. Probably not used for 2-3 yrs. after fixing the pool we found out the pump won't start. I have attached the pic of the part where it shows a loose connection. I have no electrical knowledge and wanted to ask you all experts if this rusted end can be fixed to start the motor or should we buy a new replacement pump. We have a Hayward super pump 1hp.
thanks

Anything can be fixed. However we need to know a few things about this one. Is the power coming in 240 or 120. It looks like 240 but the white wire is not needed in a 240 motor supply. There should be a schematic on the side of the motor that could help us on this. In the panel box that supplies this, is it a double pole (240) breaker or a single pole (120) breaker?

Anything can be fixed. However we need to know a few things about this one. Is the power coming in 240 or 120. It looks like 240 but the white wire is not needed in a 240 motor supply. There should be a schematic on the side of the motor that could help us on this. In the panel box that supplies this, is it a double pole (240) breaker or a single pole (120) breaker?

I have attached two more pics. One is of the power switch and the other about the details. Thanks

You have a dual voltage motor. 120v/220v capable. 220 would be better for your electric bill, But, you only have a single breaker so your running it at 120V.

i will pull the hayward schematic tomorrow. Easier from a computer with two monitors :)

if it was hooked up and not working, the starter capacitor on the phase that was working (hooked up) may be fried. Maybe we can try using the second phase side of the motor, but again I'll check the schematic for you. Since it's a single speed dual phase, we should be be able to get you up and running, but no promises.

Stay tuned.....

You have a dual voltage motor. 120v/220v capable. 220 would be better for your electric bill, But, you only have a single breaker so your running it at 120V.

i will pull the hayward schematic tomorrow. Easier from a computer with two monitors :)

if it was hooked up and not working, the starter capacitor on the phase that was working (hooked up) may be fried. Maybe we can try using the second phase side of the motor, but again I'll check the schematic for you. Since it's a single speed dual phase, we should be be able to get you up and running, but no promises.

Stay tuned.....

Sure.. I dnt know if this detail would help any .. this switch was off and the motor was not connect to the wiring when we bought the house. The end of this wire was left on the floor with three colored wire coming out and the motor was in the basement..SO when the pool guy came he tried to put the three ends of the wire on its place and one end for the black wire, was rusted and wouldn't let him screw it to the wire. He pulled it with the help of pliers and then made the connection. It wouldn't start. So I am not sure if its the motor or its connection or just the wiring? Also I noticed that if I run an electric tester over this big grey color wire it lights up even if the switch is turned off... Is that normal..
want to thank you in advance.

Yeah, "pen" testers are useless in this situation. A true Volt/Ohm meter is needed. I went back and looked at the first picture you posted. The little voltage selector is in the wrong position for either voltage. It is upside down on the connectors. The arrow should be pointing to the voltage indicators(115/230). We still need to figure out the voltage being supplied to the motor. In the breaker panel there should be a circuit breaker for this circuit. It will either be a single or double breaker. This will be a good start. If you are good with a volt meter I can help you figure this out.

Here is a link to an image of how the selector should be http://www.inyopools.com/howtoimages/94/1018/Step14_P1080817R.JPG?format=jpg&maxwidth=800

with the three wires shown in the first image I would guess that it is 240. However, I have seen some goofy wiring done before. Also I see what looks like a white wire in the middle of the two black wires. This would indicate a possible 120 situation. The real dilemma comes in that there is no green ground wire. With that Unless you are able to test with a volt meter I would not hazard a guess as to the voltage The screws to connect the wires to are missing but can be easily obtained at any hardware store.

This has helped a lot.. May be the pool guy wanted me to buy motor from him and didn't change the direction of the arrow. SO now I have changed that and also I have put the picture of the pool circuit which is in the basement inside. I have marked the points so that I would not put any wrong connections. Point 1 would we where the ground wire would go and point 2 would be the white wire and the point 3 would be the other black wire would go? I am going correct so far? also if you see the point 3 is little rusted and off its base. Is there a way I can test and be sure about the ground wire and the electric wire? I would but a Volt/ Ohm meter.. and also those screws..
http://imgur.com/a/9mNsE

Last edited:
OK, that selector looks better in that picture. We still need to figure out if the circuit is 120 or 240. If you have a volt/ohm meter, set it to AC Volts and if it has a scale for something higher than 240 volts. Touch the two leads to the two black wires with the power on. If it is 240 it will read that, or real close to that. If you get something other than that then test each black to the white and see what the reading is (probably 120) I am a little puzzled as the white wire would indicate a neutral in the orientation it is in there. It should not be a ground wire as ground wires should either be bare or green In this case, being a pool circuit, it should be green insulated. If you know what line it is coming into the breaker box, can you take that cover off and show us that line so we can see what the did in there.

Edit Looking at the pics again it does look like all three wires were connected at some time so someone may have not followed conventional wiring practices.

OK, that selector looks better in that picture. We still need to figure out if the circuit is 120 or 240. If you have a volt/ohm meter, set it to AC Volts and if it has a scale for something higher than 240 volts. Touch the two leads to the two black wires with the power on. If it is 240 it will read that, or real close to that. If you get something other than that then test each black to the white and see what the reading is (probably 120) I am a little puzzled as the white wire would indicate a neutral in the orientation it is in there. It should not be a ground wire as ground wires should either be bare or green In this case, being a pool circuit, it should be green insulated. If you know what line it is coming into the breaker box, can you take that cover off and show us that line so we can see what the did in there.

Edit Looking at the pics again it does look like all three wires were connected at some time so someone may have not followed conventional wiring practices.

Thats my hard luck that good wiring practice was not followed. I will b buying the volt/ohm meter first thing in the morning and share the readings. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think there is no power in those wires.. coz I got nothing on the readings.. I tried touching two blacks then black and white no reading at all.. Do you think I should change the direction of the arrow and try? I tripped the main breaker and restarted it.. but still no reading.. :confused: :brickwall:

If the meter was set on AC volts and there was power, you should have had some sort of reading. The selector (arrow) will not come into play as that is downstream of the wires...you are checking the wires with them disconnected, correct? If so, you will need to work back upstream. It could be there is a junction box somewhere that they are disconnected in. By the looks of the breaker panel you showed in one of your pictures, it may be a 240 circuit as the GFCI breaker looks like a double pole breaker. You may need to open the box and check the connections in there.

This morning I went to HD ... showed a sales person the picture of the motor and explained him what I needed to do.. he suggested me to buy a simple voltage tester which has reading of 110 or 220... so I dnt have the one with AC or DC.. I will be opening up the box now and send some more pics..

Remove the cover (wrong type of cover btw) from the switch & see how many wires are coming into the box from the electrical panel.
(Ciruit cover open - Album on Imgur). I have the pic here.. Hope this helps.. I do see green red black and white colored wires..but only green black and white are going down to the motor.. What do u guys detect from this?

- - - Updated - - -

Is hiring an electrician in the budget? In my opinion you have several issues that should be corrected.
I have kept that as my last resort... Fixing the pool itself has made a hole in the pocket.. ��

unfortunately those pictures don't show us much unless you can pull that switch out of the box so we can see where the wires come from and go to. I looks to me like they are using the single pole switch to switch one side of a 240 circuit. Really need to see the inside of the breaker box too

I believe Dan is right. If there are just two wires & the ground going to the switch then the pump is running on 120 volts.
I'll post more in a couple hours when I get home from work.
Dan - I'm in North Tonawanda, where you at?
i took out the switch and from what I have learnt from you guys detections n online information, I think it is 120 volts as there are three wires going down.. But the confusion is .. If I look at the circuit breaker for pool it has three 20 amp breakers... Would that not make it 230 V? Wiring - Album on Imgur here are the new pictures.

Thanks...

In the picture of the left side of the switch it shows a black, white & green wire but those aren't in the pump picture. Is there something else being powered off that circuit, perhaps a pool light?

Does the pump plug into an outlet?
Pull the wire nut out of the box a little & get us a picture that shows the wires connected by the wire nut.
Get us a picture that shows all the wiring boxes & conduit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.