Help with Suction clog or other issue...?

Dec 28, 2014
Edmond, OK
So...I am getting about half or less of the normal suction from my skimmer basket line. This is also the line that I vacuum and is the only line for the pool as the main drain is capped off. There is another suction line for the spa that is "over-suctioning" and draining whenever I run the pool. This is how I realized I was having a problem also how I know the pump is pumping. That and the pool is turning green cuz I guess it is not getting enough circulation. So I am curious if you guys could share any tips or fixes to troubleshoot a clogged suction line...? Let me know if you need more info.

Thank you in advancefor your help!

Other than an adjustment (3-way) valve between the two, is there any chance perhaps you simply sucked something into your skimmer line causing a partial obstruction? Just to confirm, is your skimmer basket (clear lid) full of water? Any air or drop in water level?

If you suspect something got sucked-in from the skimmer, your options are things like:
- Try to push water from the skimmer basket (pump) side BACK to the pool skimmer (put a rag around the hose to help create a seal for better pressure)
- Try running a "snake" line through to free-up the clog
- Some folks may try air pressure if they have that capability

Yep - backflush it. Kill the pump, open the pump basket and feed a garden hose down the pump inlet. Ideally, you have a drain king bladder, but wrapping it with a rag will also seal it up. Move the valve to full skimmer suction and hold that hose in and have your helper turn on the water and let 'er rip.

In years past people have discovered small toys jammed in the three-way valves, so if the first attempt doesn't get things, you might want to disassemble the valve and look inside or try backflushing from there to the skimmer.

Drain King:
088712033202lg.jpg

Well I just tried rigging it with a rag to no avail. I did see some small particles come back to skimmer line but nothing even remotely big enough to clog. Hmmmmm. I have a pool company coming out tomorrow hopefully they can diagnose and pprescribe a low cost solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.