Few Questions for BBB Newbie

Oct 7, 2014
Braintree, MA
Former Leslie's slave here trying to switch over to the BBB method. I bought the Talyor K-2006 Test Kit. After a test (i have an 8000 gal above grnd pool) i got the following results:

Chlorine .6ppm, no combined chlorine
Ph = 7.2 one drop to raise acid
alkalinity = 40ppm
calcium hardness =300ppm
cya = 30ppm

I typed it all in the Pool Math calculator

And I've allready added about a 1/3 a jug of 8% bleach (as recommended)

The calculator also recommended 113oz of baking soda and 13oz of Borax.

Three questions

1. Can i add both of these (borax and baking soda0 right away? And does it get added to the skimmer?

2. How often should I actually be testing?

3. Is there a recommended amount of bleach that I need to just dump in the pool every week?

Thanks so much!

What did you use as a target for TA that it told you to add that amount of baking soda.

Your pH is fine and most pools tend to rise, so I would leave it where it is for now. You will probably use muratic acid and never need to use Borax. Only testing will tell how your pool works.

Until your learn your pool,and it's appetite for chlorine, test pH & FC every day. TA, CH can be tEsted weekly. And CYA a few times a season (when you open and a couple,of more times spread out).

Chlorine is added daily, not weekly. After a few weeks of testing and adding to get to your goal daily you will learn what your pool wants and can cut back testing to every 2 or 3 days and just add your normal amount daily. But, any major event would require immediate testing and adjusting. A few hot suu y days will consume more chlorine. Got a pool party Saturday, test and add a little extra before it starts.

How to add each chemical is here: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals Don't pour anything directly into the skimmer. Ever.

As an aside, if you have any Sodium Carbonate aka Soda Ash aka pH up, left from your days as a Leslie's patsy, it can be used to raise pH and TA simultaneously. If you have any TA increaser, it's just repackaged overpriced baking soda. Use up what you have before you go buying anything.

Testing frequency is given here: Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

The amount of bleach you need DAILY is however much you determine through testing to keep you above the minimum for your CYA until you can add again. Chlorine loss is not a straight line, so you can't just add three days' worth every three days.

Yes i do have some Soda Ash (how did you know?) :D

Any recommendation on how much of that to use---with TA at 40 and ph at 7.2?
What's your target?

Actually, I just plugged in some numbers. Looks like you'll need to go spend money after all. But it's only baking soda. It's real cheap. Costco and Walmart sell bags of the stuff, or just go to the nearest grocery store. To raise pH to 7.5 in your pool will take about 7 ounces of Soda Ash. Unfortunately, that will only raise TA by 6.

Adding 3.5 pounds of Baking Soda will raise TA by 30 but only raise pH by .06.

How'd I get that :scratch: Down at the bottom of poolmath is Effects Of Adding Chemicals. :mrgreen:

Add the baking soda. Check pH again tomorrow and if TA is good and pH is still too low for your taste, then bump it a hair with the soda ash. pH is in range now, so that's not actually necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.