new pool this year

We put in a 22 x 52 Intex pool. I am used to Bacquacil and trying chlorine this year. I do not have enough CYA in the water, the water is too hard, 1000. I need a different test kit not the strips correct?
We have a winner! :goodjob:

That's no kiddie pool you have there. that's pushing 11000 gallons! It needs a grown-up test kit for sure.

Test strips are generally only good at testing pH. Everything else is all over the place. If you instinctively set the strip on the plastic chart, surface tension causes the water to bleed across pads and mess up things. High FC can bleach out the dyes. If you wait too little or too long, the results will be off. And they generally make enormous jumps. 0-100-200-400-1000. Gimme a break! What if you're at 150, or 300 or 600? Which color will it match? :scratch:

Taylor K-2006 is generally cheapest and sometimes people get free shipping off Amazon. But value-wise, the TF100 is a better deal. It has more of the reagents you'll use the most. Pool School - Test Kits Compared

If you keep careful track of how much of each chemical you've been adding, you can use Effects of Adding Chemicals to calculate roughy where your CYA level is. It's at the bottom of poolmath. Be sure to put the pool volume (Intex says 10,472 gallons) at the top.

Thank you! I haven't put in any stabilizer. I think that is my problem. I will pick up a kit or order one tomorrow.

What about the hardness of the water?
If you know you're at zero CYA, you can use poolmath to get the dose. Conveniently for you, a four pound canister of stabilizer will raise your CYA to about 46. Use the sock method to add it.

Hardness? What can you do? If you try replacing water, you'll be replacing it with the same fill water you used initially. And maybe you're not really at 1000. I'd seriously doubt it unless you're on a well and your area is known for its limestone caves. Your showerheads and drip coffeemaker would be a solid chunk of white crud if that were the case. Wait for a proper test kit, then deal with facts. High Calcium Hardness (strips only tell total hardness) can be managed up to around 800. I do it all the time.

And just so you know, the K-2005 DPD test kit is not the same as the K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit, no matter what the pool store clerk tells you. If it doesn't use powder to measure FC, it's not the test kit you want.

Best to reduce that PH to the mid 7s using muriatic acid per the calculator. Somewhere between 7.2-7.8. I suspect your TA may not be 2800. :confused: Usually we see it from 70-150 give or take some. But 2800 would be incredibly high. A TFP record perhaps? :) Maybe consider double-checking the testing method (# of drops or math used)?

Hope this helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.