choosing a new pool pump

Hi Guys. I know you probably get this question every day and I apologize. I've tried to do a lot of research and I just need some assistance since I think I'm getting conflicting information.

I'm attempting to find a good replacement VS pool pump. I've been reading a ton about pipe sizes and head loss and sort of understand that. Here's my concern: I know the recommendation is to use 2" plumbed return lines, but unfortunately we have 1.5" lines. We do have 2 of them though, one for the skimmer and one from the deep end. They combine at a Jandy valve and then go into the pump from there. All those are 1.5" lines as far as I can tell. I know that having multiple flow lines makes the max flow go up, but doesn't the fact it gets combined into one 1.5" pipe towards the end reduce the flow back down to effectively 1 return line? Or am I thinking about that wrong?

Secondly, pending the outcome of this thread I think I had settled on one of these pumps:

SuperPump VS Amazon.com : Hayward SP2600VSP Super Pump VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump Energy Star Certified (Discontinued by Manufacturer) : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden
MaxFlo VS Amazon.com : Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump Energy Star Certified : Patio, Lawn Garden

However, they appear to be identical as far as I can tell as far as features go; if anything, the MaxFlo seems better even at a lower cost since a calculator I found indicates it has a lower running cost. Is one particularly better than the other?

Some stats:
30,000 gal rectangular pool
2 1.5" return lines, maybe about 30 total horizontal feet to the pad, and 13 feet rise for the drain and 3 foot rise for the skimmer (pad/pump is about 1' off the ground). About 3 bends for each return line.
current motor is an old AOSmith Century Centurion 1081, 3/4 HP, SF 1.5. There's no info on the pump itself that I can see.
If it helps, I've attached a picture of the current pad. The middle pump is a booster which we don't use. (would it help any to remove it?)

Let me know if you need some more information, and thanks in advance. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 2015-05-17 10.30.30.jpg
    2015-05-17 10.30.30.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 34
but doesn't the fact it gets combined into one 1.5" pipe towards the end reduce the flow back down to effectively 1 return line?
No. Flow rate is not limited by a single pipe or fitting. Total head loss of all the plumbing determines the flow from the pump.

I would probably chose the MaxFlo VS over the SuperPump because I like the pump basket design and it is slightly more efficient.

But given your location, you could just replace the current motor with a two speed and save yourself some money. The lifetime cost of the VS would probably exceed that of a two speed motor.

Based on your locarion, I am guessing that your energy costs are not that high so a vs lifetime costs (including energy savings) will be higher than a two speed. In other words, the energy savings of a vs are not enough to pay for the cost difference between a vs and a two speed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mewsiclover.....I just swapped in a new hayward SuperPump VS...after some "technical issues" (I'm working on the write up) I couldn't be happier. I have a 28k gallon on ground with cartridge filters, a Zodiac G2 and couldn't be happier. I need to give it and more ekes, but on low setting, I'm drawing about 50watts....so pretty much free compared to my AC to run. I let mine run on idle all day long and the power consumption is in the noise. Oh, and it's silent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.