Need help with pump problem

Dec 2, 2012
Henderson, NV
Hi. This is my first post although I read the forum and follow the TFP method. Pool has been crystal clear since buying in 2012. Now my problem.
Went out to test my water just now and noticed the pump had not come on when it should have been. Found the manual timer had thrown the pump switch to ON but pump was quiet like it was receiving no electricity.

I checked the breakers and they are ok. I checked the waterfall pump and it is working fine. We had a serious lightening storm in the area yesterday when the pump would have been running. I am hopeful that a surge caused an internal trip but have not been able to locate a reset. Checked manual and can't find any mention of a reset button. The pump is a 2HP Pentair Whisperflo model W8. I believe it is about 12 years old.

I hope one of the experts here can provide me some insight. Thanks in advance. TJ

Huskersoll, some of my old high school alumni posted updates about weather in that area recently. Odd things happen. I wasn't able to find any specific troubleshooting info on-line, possibly because of the age of your pump. Is your pump still unresponsive? You tried breakers, looked for a manual reset, I know some pumps when they overheat have an internal protective sensor that delays re-starting for a while. Perhaps not applicable here, but curious. I suppose your main pump and waterfall pump are tied into the same circuit huh? So if one's working, it would stand to reason the other should as well right?

Still not working. Just dead like not getting electricity. I believe that the waterfall and main pump are on the same circuit although there are separate breakers on a small breaker box at the timer box. I have reset all the breakers although I did not find any that had "broken". It is an old pump and I have been thinking of going with a smaller two speed or variable. I am sure a pool this small does not need a 2hp. I was hoping to get it running so that I did not have to "hurry up" and replace.

UPDATE
I just pulled the cover on the Intermatic timer box and checked the four breakers in the timer. All tested as working. So I know I have power at the timer box. The switch that turns on the pump is working as there is no power at two breakers when off, and power when switch is on.

Not sure how to test power at the pump without taking the pum[ cover off. I am reluctant to do that at this point, hoping someone comes along who knows more about these things.

You need to test the power CAREFULLY at the pump. A cheap test light from RadioShack or lowes that is 230v compliant will work. There are even. On-contact ones that will beep if the circuit is hot.

Take the cover off, and again, carefully, connect one side of the tester to ground, and one side to the hot leads one at a time.

And double triple check the breakers at the timer and at the breaker box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.