stabilizer 300, phosphates 500, FC at 1 - HELP

You can do it any way works best, but the more you drain at once the more efficient it will be. It depends on what will work best for you though, many small adjustments or few large ones.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

I think you're counting / dividing your drops for the FC and cc tests incorrectly.

#1 you can use a 10ml sample and you'll save on your reagents.

With a 10ml sample you count the drops until the water goes back to clear. Then divide by 1/2. (multiply by .5) 10 drops would = 5 FC
For a 25ml sample I believe you multiply by .2 so in that example 10 drops would = 2

In any case the end FC reading will be lower than the amount of drops you counted. :)

I like the 10ml sample. I find it easier to figure out half. (15 drops = 7.5fc easy for my brain. lol)

*edited to change multiplier for 25ml sample* Oops it's .2 for 25ml. I've never use 25ml so I wasn't sure. I'd definitely stick with the 10ml either way since it helps to conserve R-0871 drops. :)

You are were I was with my last pool. CYA so high my FC could not be high enough to clean my pool.

Since I got my test kit and TFP my pool has been SO easy and cheap to maintain!

A draining you will go. Good luck!

Kim

THANK YOU! I couldn,t quite figure out and now see that doing a test twice does not mean either result is correct :) I at least knew to do CYA with less water.

Karen

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Kim. Overwhelming to begin with and glad this group is here (and patient) to guide others to success. Drained probably 1/3. Refilling now and will see what things look like.

Karen

small drain and refills will take forever to lower your CYA. assuming your pool has an average depth of 4 feet, lowering and refilling 6" would 12.5% reduction. but four refills will not reduce your CYA by 50% (i.e. 12.5% x 4). four refills would result in a reduction of only 41%. if can be done, but you probably need to reduce your pool water/CYA by 70%. that would require you to do NINE 6" drain and refills. if you do 1 foot at a time, it would take you only FOUR times. larger drains and refills are much more efficient.

CYA - (it took 19 drops to hide dot - never got near any readings)

You don't count drops with the CYA test. What you do is add the mixed 50/50 water sample and reagent into the viewing tube until the black dot is not longer distinguishable against the white background. You do this while holding the tube in front of you with you looking down into it with your back to the sun so that your body shades the tube. You then read the CYA by looking at the water level in the tube. When you do this are you saying that the water level is below the "100" line? If so, you can redo the test by diluting your starting water sample, say by half tap water and half pool water, and then when you get a result you multiply it by 2. Or dilute with 2 parts tap water, 1 part pool water, then multiply the result by 3, etc.

Yes - The dot was no longer visable with only 19 drops of test fluid, no where near the 100 mark on test tube. I knew cya was way off to begin with. Needed this test to confirm. Did partial drain and am refilling now. Will do new cya test and post.

Thanks. Karen

Things didn't go well. Used dilution method Chem Geek suggested for measuring CYA, 2 parts bottled water, 1 part pool water still couldn't get up to 100ppm mark. Used PoolMath and calculated cya using 300 to 100 (max) need to replace 67% of water. To Home Depot for real pump and remove all but 15 inches and turn on the water again. Hope it will be done tomorrow afternoon and I can test again.

At this point I was thinking if I can get CYA down to 100, it will be easier to manage getting small dilutions done for rest of season. Is this reasonable?

Thanks.

Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As chem geek mentioned you do Not need to count the drops for the CYA test just mix the solution half water, 7ml, and half CYA reagent 7ml to =14 ml, per the markings on the plastic vial with lid, shake vial for 30 seconds, then add mixed solution to the small side of the testing tube with the dot on the bottom. Continue to add till the dot disappears completely, and compare that level with the numbers to the right of the tube.

If your CYA level is too high to do it normally, and you can not determine an exact reading, dilute the mixture as chem geek described above, so you can know exactly where that level is at so you can add chlorine accordingly.

Also with Your CYA being so high you will be testing it frequently at 1st and you will most likely run out of R-0013, so you will probably want to go ahead, and get some more of that ordered before you do run out of it.

TFTestkits.net carries a 2 pack with (2) 4 oz bottles, or an 8 oz bottle of the replacements of the R-0013. Those particular reagents are located at the bottom of page 1, after you click on the Taylor K-2006 refills tab. Other places also carry reagent refills too, but most are not nearly as reasonably priced.

I also agree as Beens said, using the 10ml sample instead of a 25 ml sample for your chlorine, and other levels will be a lot easier to calculate, and a lot cheaper due to using less reagents for testing.

The idea level for your CYA is 40-50 because otherwise you will go broke buying chlorine, and will still not be effectively treating your pool. The others will advice you more on that shortly, but the main thing right now is just to start getting that CYA level down as much, and as fast as possible (without Completely draining the pool),to try to beat a full algae outbreak.

Just keep reporting back on your numbers, and the pros roaming around this wonderful site, will be able to advise you on what to do next. Have a wonderful night and these guys, and gals around here will teach you how to get your pool in order, and be able to keep it that way. :)

I learned the hard way and ran out, so I thought I'd prevent you from making the same mistake I did.

Also, If you run out of the CYA reagent you are currently using, and the other hasn't arrived yet, be sure to keep the empty small bottle because you can use the bigger ones as refills. The bigger bottles won't fit into your kit, so refilling your small bottle allows you to keep one in your kit with everything else, but it is nice to have the larger bottles on hand when needed. Draining your pool down that far should help the high CYA a lot, but only time, and testing will tell by how much :). Have a nice night.

You won't regret doing this in one big step. With CYA that high it would just have been impossible to manage things.

Hopefully you do get a reading below 100 after refilling (if not then your CYA was over 400!). Just remember, this is the worst of it, it will get easier going forward. The amount of time and money you save the remainder of this year and next year by following TFPC will more than make up for this temporary annoyance!

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

You ARE right where I was. I have NO idea how high my CYA was when my liner cracked all over the bottom and the water went bye-bye :(

The pool store "Oh just lower the water about an inch or so and refill. It should be fine"

TFP and good test kits all the way!

Kim

Getting close to water in skimmer. I assume turn on pump as soon as water can be drawn in. Next step I guess would be to take readings and post for further instructions, as soon as water is up to fill level. Any other things I should do until testing begins?

Was able to use water powered leaf vacuum to clean up stuff on bottom and have already added gallon and a half liquid bleach.

Thanks.

Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.