High TA Low PH ?Low salt

Jun 24, 2014
Abilene, TX
I am having cloudy water and cannot get it clear. These are my calculations this AM:
FC = 5.5
PH = 7.2
TA = 160
CH = 250
CYA = 100
Salt = 2400

I am using the Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 to test. It has been this way for 2 weeks or more. What acid do I need to add to lower TA? I have muratic acid handy. I understand the higher TA raises the PH? Correct? But my PH is staying the same. My chlorine levels are high so i am not running my SWG at present hoping things clear up. Chlorine levels are coming down. TYIA

If your pool is cloudy, I would SLAM. Your FC is too low for a CYA of 100. This is likely why pool is cloudy.

I recommend lowing CYA to at least 50 but more ideally 30 for the slam. You will have to do partial drains and refills to drop CYA.

If your pH is holding steady then you do not need to mess with your TA. TA does not cause water quality issues, it only buffers pH changes. With your pH at 7.2 you most certainly do not want to add any acid.

Your FC level is ok for your CYA, I wouldn't let it drop any more. Your CYA level is a bit high, even for an SWG pool. Is there a reason you have it that high? Also are you sure that it is only 100 and not higher?

I am not sure why it is high. I went out of town one weekend and my pool turned green. I poured bleach in and boosted my SWG several times and I think I overdid the chlorine. I also added baking soda because my stabilizer was low. Maybe I added too much? What causes your CYA to be high?

I am not sure why it is high. I went out of town one weekend and my pool turned green. I poured bleach in and boosted my SWG several times and I think I overdid the chlorine. I also added baking soda because my stabilizer was low. Maybe I added too much? What causes your CYA to be high?

Too much stabilizer raises your CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why you added baking soda for low stablizer?

- - - Updated - - -

Please read
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.