Stabilizer question?

May 25, 2015
Rensselaer/In
I needed to raise my CYA last week. I went to Walmart and bought the hth brand stabilizer & conditioner. I have read other posts that says make sure the stabilizer is 99% cyanuric acid. What I bought is only 96% with 4% inert ingredients. My question is what brand should I buy that has the 99% cyanuric acid and what stores should I be looking in or is what I bought okay to use?

It has raised my CYA but not as much as it should have by the poolmath chart.

The Wal-Mart (HTH brand) should be fine. But some people go to the local home improvement store's pool section too. You can also go the pool store and just grab stabilizer and run as fast as you can. :)

- - - Updated - - -

PS- I had that same problem with Wa-Mart's brand this year. Had to try and raise CYA twice.

I have used BioGuard brand stabilizer that I purchased at Patio Pools. It is 99% CYA and it has worked fine. It is rather strange that HTH brand has seemed to cause a lot of problems for folks lately. It's hard to believe that a "bad batch" made its way through quality control and out onto the market to affect so many people. I guess it's possible but it seems strange that HTH has not recalled affected batches.

An alternative method is to use trichlor pucks if you have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. I did use some pucks with the stabilizer I added because the FC loss was a little too much I thought and we have had 90 degree weather all week. I will look for the BioGuard brand next time I am at the larger town to shop. Our small town only has a Walmart! Appreciate the advise. Thanks Again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.