Weir flap question

AV8TOR

Dec 6, 2008
Fort Worth TX
We have 2 American Products Skimmers on our pool and I have a question concerning the proper operation of the Weir Flap. The flap appears to be working fine as it is laying down when the skimmers are on and when the pump is off the flap goes closed – well almost. There is a molded stop on the skimmer housing top with a rubber stop on it that prevents the flap from totally closing (going vertical). This time of the year we get a lot of Oak Tree debris from the new leaves developing and the skimmers do a good job cleaning the pool however with the flap remaining partially open debris float back out. It seems to me that this flap stop is stopping the flap too so because it does not get to pointing vertical, it is slopped back to maybe a 10 o’clock position. Is this right? I was hoping to find a manual online but all I could find is a parts breakdown.

Yes the same on both skimmers. The top plastic tab is a molded tab so it is where they intended it to be but to me it just seems in the wrong location.

So I guess I should ask where others are when the pump is off, are the straight up and is there some sort of a stop at that location?

Maybe it's in backwards? Take a look at the weir in this hayward skimmer. The flat face should be on the inboard side as shown. If it's oriented the other way it'll do what you describe.
SP1070-SP1071-series-skimmers.gif

spishex said:
Maybe it's in backwards? Take a look at the weir in this hayward skimmer. The flat face should be on the inboard side as shown. If it's oriented the other way it'll do what you describe.

I will look later when I get home that is a possibility but is going to be hard to see without getting in the pool. Water temp is only 62º right now.

I notice on my skimmer when the pool level is low, the flap does not close completely. The reason being is that the top of the flap is a float (floats on top of the water), and with a low water level, the top does not float high enough to be vertical. That being said, tthe top of the flap is always above the water level, and debris inside the skimmer can't get out. Can you see how your debris is getting out?

dschlic1 said:
I notice on my skimmer when the pool level is low, the flap does not close completely. The reason being is that the top of the flap is a float (floats on top of the water), and with a low water level, the top does not float high enough to be vertical. That being said, tthe top of the flap is always above the water level, and debris inside the skimmer can't get out. Can you see how your debris is getting out?

The problem though is not water level it is the fact the there is a mechanical stop on the top of the skimmer inlet with a rubber pad on it. The Weir Flap pins are in the holes so I know the pivot point is right but the flap hits the stop before it can go vertical and yes the flap is installed correct with the float parts to the back. I am beginning to believe that the flaps might have been replaced and they are simply the wrong ones.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.