Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weir flap question

1. Back To Top    #1

Weir flap question

We have 2 American Products Skimmers on our pool and I have a question concerning the proper operation of the Weir Flap. The flap appears to be working fine as it is laying down when the skimmers are on and when the pump is off the flap goes closed – well almost. There is a molded stop on the skimmer housing top with a rubber stop on it that prevents the flap from totally closing (going vertical). This time of the year we get a lot of Oak Tree debris from the new leaves developing and the skimmers do a good job cleaning the pool however with the flap remaining partially open debris float back out. It seems to me that this flap stop is stopping the flap too so because it does not get to pointing vertical, it is slopped back to maybe a 10 o’clock position. Is this right? I was hoping to find a manual online but all I could find is a parts breakdown.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weir flap question

Is it the same on both skimmers? I'm not familiar with a rubber stop like you're talking about, but if someone replaced the weir with the wrong model it could just be a bad fit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes the same on both skimmers. The top plastic tab is a molded tab so it is where they intended it to be but to me it just seems in the wrong location.

So I guess I should ask where others are when the pump is off, are the straight up and is there some sort of a stop at that location?
    Polaris 280 robot
    Pool Calc user

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the pool water level on the skimmer face?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    What is the pool water level on the skimmer face?
    2-3" above the lead in.
    Polaris 280 robot
    Pool Calc user

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe it's in backwards? Take a look at the weir in this hayward skimmer. The flat face should be on the inboard side as shown. If it's oriented the other way it'll do what you describe.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    Maybe it's in backwards? Take a look at the weir in this hayward skimmer. The flat face should be on the inboard side as shown. If it's oriented the other way it'll do what you describe.
    I will look later when I get home that is a possibility but is going to be hard to see without getting in the pool. Water temp is only 62º right now.
    Polaris 280 robot
    Pool Calc user

8. Back To Top    #8

You could probably use a small mirror through the top hole to get a better view.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

9. Back To Top    #9

I notice on my skimmer when the pool level is low, the flap does not close completely. The reason being is that the top of the flap is a float (floats on top of the water), and with a low water level, the top does not float high enough to be vertical. That being said, tthe top of the flap is always above the water level, and debris inside the skimmer can't get out. Can you see how your debris is getting out?
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dschlic1
    I notice on my skimmer when the pool level is low, the flap does not close completely. The reason being is that the top of the flap is a float (floats on top of the water), and with a low water level, the top does not float high enough to be vertical. That being said, tthe top of the flap is always above the water level, and debris inside the skimmer can't get out. Can you see how your debris is getting out?
    The problem though is not water level it is the fact the there is a mechanical stop on the top of the skimmer inlet with a rubber pad on it. The Weir Flap pins are in the holes so I know the pivot point is right but the flap hits the stop before it can go vertical and yes the flap is installed correct with the float parts to the back. I am beginning to believe that the flaps might have been replaced and they are simply the wrong ones.
    Polaris 280 robot
    Pool Calc user