New pool in SE Michigan

OrnamentalTurtle

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2015
SE Michigan
Hey all, I enjoyed going through all some of the other build threads so I thought I'd share ours. We started building Wednesday (7/29) and I'm amazed at how much got done in about 2 days worth of work. Now apparently its just waiting game with township inspectors. Any feedback or ideas are welcome as nothing except whats already done is in stone.

The story in a very large nutshell: My wife had a pool growing up and said she wanted one by the time our future kids got old enough. All the kids will come to our place, we know where they are, etc, nostalgia, etc. Fast forward to the beginning of 2015, she sees there's a pool show and "just wants to go check things out and ask some questions (tm)". I had just found out I was going to need my 3rd heart surgery and she wanted something to take her mind off things and to cheer her up/look forward to. Fine, lets go. She won't stop talking about things after the show and I mistakenly challenger her (never do this btw) and say "If you can get the bank to work with you, you can have your pool". Never in a million years did I think it would work out but she pulled it off (money, permits, HOA approvals, neighbors removing their fence(!) ) and here we are.

We did all the normal quoting and talking and picked what we believe is a really good company. Coincidentally, we found out that the company owner's father built my wife's pool in Canada when she was 3 years old and he's now the crew foreman on our pool. We decided to wait until later in the summer so we could get the best price and the ground wouldn't be a swamp from all the rain this year. This turned out to be a good plan so far.

Our plans have changed more times than I can count and they changed a few more times in the last few days while they've been ripping up the backyard. Single speed to variable speed pump. Sand filter to cartridge. The pool moved over about 10 feet and about 5 feet closer to the house on the day of the dig. The back stairs have changed from a 10x10 concrete platform with a kitchen-> a 10x8 trex deck -> trex stairs -> wood stairs to match the pergola all in about an hour. The equipment location has change 4 times and is now back to my originally suggested location (I might know what I'm talking about after all...). Who knows what we're going to end up with. But that's part of the fun right?

Anyway, on to what you came here for: Info! Pictures!

• Approx 18,000 gallon kidney beanish with tanning ledge built into the stairs. 29' x 19' at widest points
  • 3.5 ft in shallow end. 6.5 ft in deep end
  • Lathem Steel walls with grout bottom
  • Kafko vinyl liner in Natural Grey minus the cheesy fake stone border.
  • Pentair Intelliflow 3HP VS pump
  • Pentair Clean & Clear 150 sqft cartridge filter
  • Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG
  • Hayward H200FDN 200k BTU heater
  • Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED light
  • Other pool type things I don't know about yet
  • Concrete will be regular and stained an undecided shade of gray around the edge of the pool and a beige for the rest to tie it in with the house.
  • Fence will surround the whole backyard and will be the standard aluminum pool fence in oil rubbed bronze.
  • Pergola will be 6 post 18'x16' in wolmanized pine or douglas fir. Unstained until we decide what we want

Here in all of my craptastic sketchup skills was our first plan and nothing is the same but its enough to get an idea. I gave up trying to color the cement an appropriate color so have a few beverages and just pretend ;)

The pergola is farther to the left to not block the kitchen window and has 6 posts now
The patio is just a small square set of 3 stairs down (decided to have more space on the main level)
The pool moved to the left to be in line with the house.
The stairs moved up more to the center line

Wednesday (7/29) the crew showed up bright and early with all the equipment and had the grass up and hole dug before lunch even with some delays with the excavator. Ignore my grass as I stopped watering and cutting it a few weeks before since it was all going away. You'll also see the hastily moved playhouse sand.

They got cut short by rain but came back the next day to finish the walls and run some plumbing

Sat morning they poured the footings

Inspector giving his seal of approval ;)

The inspector should be out on Monday and then the backfill crew comes in. I'll keep this thread updated as the progress continues.

Thanks for reading and appreciate any advice.

AWESOME! I am so glad YOUR inspector likes the work done so far! CUTE!

What test kit are you going to get? The link to compare them is in my siggy!

You are going to love having a pool. TFP will help you keep it clean and clear for much cheaper than any pool store.

Hugs on your 3rd heart surgery. Scary stuff :(

Kim

Great pics! Mr Inspector appears as if he might be conferring some kind of blessing on your continued success, If it all goes smoothly, you probably need to give him some credit. :D

As far as the dirt goes, we're getting a decent amount of cement and they're grading most of the yard up to accommodate it. The builder actually lowered the yard level 6 inches from the previous plan and still thinks we might need to bring some in. Definitely doesn't look like we'll use whats there from the pictures.

We will be getting one of the TFP recommended test kits closer to end of the project along with some other bits and pieces I've been reading about.

Anyone have any thoughts on pool automation? We have gone back and forth on whether its necessary to spend the $1500 the PB is charging. I'm a techie and while being able to do stuff from your phone is a nice feature, our equipment wont be too far away that we can't just go change the light color or turn up the pump/heat. We don't have any water features and are forgoing the hot tub right now so there isn't much to control. We're already hitting the budget and would rather have the pergola and cement be what we want and maybe add automation later. We have grand plans for the future and are just trying to get what we can done right now with those additions in mind.

Thanks

A lot happened but not much pool work was completed this week. Inspectors showed up and they backfilled the dirt. The dirt mountains are all gone and we will need a load or 2 of new dirt brought in. Apparently they were supposed to pour the slab for the equipment when they poured the footings. This didn't happen so the electrical and gas contractors were delayed. The contractors are now coming on Tuesday and just running the lines to where the pad is going to be. We helped the neighbors take their fence down after our fence guy wanted too much to do it.

The contractor we were working with for the pergola and other wood work backed out on us so my wife spent most of the week looking for a new one. A downside to the economy picking back up is that contractors are really busy and need some lead time. We did find a new guy who gave us an astronomical quote (in our opinion at least). He explained that he normally does high-end work and no one ever questions his quotes so my wife explained that while she has high-end taste, we don't have high-end money. He ended up lowering his price by 35% and while its a bit more than we wanted to pay, his work will be higher quality than the people we were having do it before. If you haven't noticed yet, my wife is a ninja at making things happen. She's also a ninja at spending all our money in the process, we just get more for it.

We found a new pergola design we liked more and decided to turn it at an angle to face the pool. This combined with already moving the pool closer to the house will save us a bit on concrete. We also decided on a style for the stairs and fence covering the equipment, ac, trash cans, etc.

Here's the pergola. We're doing it 14'x16' without the swing. I really like the color also.

We liked this type of pattern on the stairs.

This is the style of fence.

Backfilling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! We both like clean and simple designs so it has helped with many decisions through this process. On top of that it's cheaper than having a bunch of detail that needs more time from the contractors. All straight cuts. We also have 200 ft of these lights waiting for the pergola. Assuming it all comes together like we're imagining.... Anyway, the next week might probably won't be too exciting picture wise but I'm sure there will be more unexpected changes to report on.

2ec7f863eeb34ca4afbf20bbb46b2599.jpg

Sadly, not much to report again. The electrician was the only one who made it out last week and he trenched for electrical lines, grounded the perimeter of the pool to the light and installed the post where the switch for the light will go. No equipment pad yet so he didn't do anything for that. While trenching for the electrical, we had him dig 2 more trenches to make re-routing the buried downspouts to locations that the ends won't be covered in dirt. I spent parts of the weekend replacing the drains in 95 degrees. It was awesome.

The township made the pergola contractor pull new permits and they still haven't been approved. He was supposed to put the posts in for everything on Thursday. The PB was supposed to be bringing more dirt in to finish backfilling and grading. I believe all of these activities are slated for this week along with cement maybe? I hope this week will be more productive than last.

About time for my bi-weekly update. Not much happened until the end of last week. The pergola and fence posts went in and that was an ordeal. Apparently when they built these houses they just buried all the cement and trees that were around. The contractors ran into many obstacles and I spent most of a weekend burning through batteries on my sawzall to cut some trees out of the holes. Otherwise we were going to have to move the pergola and pay to have new holes dug. They eventually got them in early last week and we could move on to backfilling more and cement.

The cement prep started mid last week and we were supposed to have cement by Thursday. Which turned into Saturday. Which turned into Monday. I'm happy to say that the cement is done and was cut today. I think the PB is coming out tomorrow to do the bottom of the pool as a huge pile of sand to make the grout was just delivered a few hours ago. The liner is scheduled to go in thursday and the fence should be coming late this week also. Liner means water :) I don't know about the schedule for the plumber and electrician to do the equipment but I'm assuming it will be soon because we'll have the water in? All we have is a drying slab right now so I don't know how all of this is going to come together in the next few days. Anyways, here's a few pics. I think we have pergola and fence construction photos somewhere but I'm being lazy.

Thanks Kim :) I'm still being lazy so no pics but I'll definitely have some this weekend. The fauxping is going to be stained a darker gray/brown once the cement cures a bit and from other pics we've seen it looks pretty good. The builders came yesterday and put all the plumbing and equipment together and the gas contractor ran the line and hooked the heater up. When I left for work this morning the builders had just shown up to do the bottom and said if there was any chance of rain they'd go back and get the liner and put it in. The fence contractor should be coming to do his work too since they can't do water without it. Funny how nothing happens for weeks and then everything hits all at once.

-Eric

Your rain dance must have worked because the weather map made it look like it was starting in 30 min all day but never did. I'm typing this while sitting out next to our freshly filled pool while the heater tries desperately to take the chill out. I'll post some pics later or tomorrow. The trip is almost over! :)

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.