Pool is full, First Set of Numbers are in, What do I do?

Schnozz

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just finished filling my pool about 5:00 PM PST and have my first test results with Taylor K-2006. How do I proceede.:confused:

FC- 2 ppm ( after this reading I added 24 oz 10% based on how I ubderstood the Taylor Tables..OK?)
PH- 8 ppm
ALK- 140 ppm
CH- 170 ppm
CYA- No reading (could not hide the black dot)

Do the numbers look good? Tested several times until I got consistant numbers..

Purchased 10% Chlorine and Stabilizer in preperation for the initial fill on the advice of TFP response to my frist thread..

Pump has been running 4 hours.. What's next.....

First thing you want to do is get some stabilizer in their ASAP to protect your chlorine (FC). Use the sock method to suspend granular stabilizer near a return jet until it dissolves. Remember it will take about a week to show-up on your readings.

Until the CYA builds to at least 30 (you may go higher based on sun in your area.), always use the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to keep your FC at or slightly higher than the target that matches your CYA. That is extremely important for sanitation and preventing algae. You will need to check 2-3 times a day until the CYA builds.

Use acid (30 minutes apart from any bleach additions) to lower your PH to the mid-7s.

Always refer to these to add chemicals based on your pool:
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Poolmath calculator

Remember, pump stays on for 30 minutes after adding chemicals to mix good, and never add acid and bleach together.

Good luck!

Numbers still all pretty consistent. As of tonight at 6:00 PM PST:
FC: 3.5 (10% Liquid chlorine)
PH: 7.7
TA: 150
CYA: <30
Crystal Clear

I've been adding between 22 & 33 oz chlorine each night to maintain a FC of 3.0 to 3.5 by 6:00 pm every night. Added two pounds stabilizer first week on recommendations from last post. Added one more pound tonight and I'll check the numbers again next Friday. Is there any concern that the TA is so high?
I'm 58 years old and a pool rookie. Can't believe how much help this forum has been. Between the responses to my questions my own searches through community threads for answers. You guys have given me the confidence to know that this old dog CAN learn new tricks. Keep up the good work and thanks again.

P.S.: I was directed to read the information provided in Pool School and keep within the parameters. That's all I did. No other help and I have been successful so far.....Read and Follow all directions...pretty simple, pretty wise. Thanks to all

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.