Stubborn Algae

Aug 1, 2015
Wheatfield, NY
OK, I lied. The algae problem isn't solved. So let me provide the details.

• Opened the pool in May, perfectly clean water, no problems
  • Stayed OK until late June - minor algae, added 4 gal of Shock, adjusted the pH, had it under control in a day.
  • Last week it came back again - it took 16 gallons of shock to kill it and 4 days of work - vacuumed it twice, both times to waste, the water has been crystal clear and free of any green stuff since Wednesday. Thursday added a quart of algaecide
  • Today (3 days later) i'm starting to see traces of algae in the shady corners of the pool. It's the light floaty kind that settles to the bottom. It all appears loose, in the sence that it settles but it not stuck to the liner.

The Cl level is still high from all that shock. I haven't added any since Wednesday. Stats are as follows:

• pH = 7.8
  • Free Cl = 25
  • Total alkalinity = 40
  • Stabilizer = 50

I realize the total alkalinity is a tad low, but last week every time I tried to adjust it up the pH went too high as well. The pool has only been used by 1 person for a couple hours since Wednesday.

I'll vacuum the edges to waste again in a day or so, and keep the Cl up. Any other words of wisdom?

* 24' Above ground pool
* Aquachek test strips
* Aquacheck "High CL" test strips for readings above 6
* pH verified with a laboratory pH meter
* 12.5 % sodium hypochlorite

We've had a pool for 24 years and probably never knew what we were doing but never really had an algae problem before like this...

If you have read much on here you will have seen that we really do not put much if any stock in "guess strips". They have been proven to be way off more than even close most of the time.

If you REALLY want to take control of your pool you need a good test kit. You can find the link to the ones we use and love. You can also find the link to where to order them from if you want.

Kim

What Kim said.

What's most likely happening is that because test strips just aren't accurate you're not maintaining the proper level of chlorine for your cya (stabilizer) level.

You're on the pool store test strip roller coaster!

A proper test kit will allow you to take control of your pool water. Once you can see your levels accurately you'll be able to add just what you need and nothing extra and maintenance will be a breeze. No more guesswork for you!

The main 2 kits we recommend are the tf-100 and the Taylor k2006.

Tf-100 has a better balance of reagent amounts (bigger bottles of what you will use most for the TFP method) If you decide on Taylor k 2006 it's better to get the "c" option because that comes with bigger bottles too.

You can save a little up front with the k2006 but keep in mind you'll need refills on at least 3 things very soon so take into account the cost of the refills + shipping.

I use the tf-100 and it lasts me more than one season. More like a season and a half.

Any questions? Just ask here. We're ready to answer!

I would also like to remind you that you need to brush the pool at least weekly to disrupt any algae and improve circulation to those nooks and crannies that tend to get neglected. Also behind stairs and lights when ever you can.

For a Taylor 2006 basic kit for $52 from Amazon, when doing a slam with any kind of cya over 40, will result in a need for another bottle of 0871. 2 oz of that is another $10+.

So, factor that into "savings". I should have bought a TFT kit. Live and learn.

Pardon my tardy reply, been away on vacation.

OK, the recommended test kit is on order - should be here next Tuesday. I'll report back with the "correct" numbers then.

What really troubles me is that I've had algae before, but it always went away with little effort. This stuff is Odd! Usually I had to brush the pool because it was sticking to the sides and bottom. This stuff is like "dust" that settles and becomes "airborne" with only a kick of the feet or a simple brooming. Its not really "stuck", its just settled.

I wonder if lack of pool use is part of the problem. With work schedule and vacations (and no kids home anymore) the pool gets very little stirring from activity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are many kinds of algae. You have one that is easy to deal with. BUT you do have to find a way to get it into the water for the FC to kill. Do you have any kind of auto cleaner? If not you will need to try brush at least once a day. Twice or more if at all possible.

Kim

OK, got the recommended kit and have results to share:
FC = 22
CYA = 90
pH = 7.2
TA = 120
CH = 225

eSince I last wrote I have only added minimal CL since the values were known to be high due to the shock added.

I have been cleaning the bottom to waste frequently to remove the settled residue. Right now, there is very minimal spots on the bottom and they are all loose. Weather and work has prevented pool use.

Now that y'all have the correct numbers, what to do next? In the interim, is the pool safe for swimming?

It is safe to swim in.

Your CYA is high. For a non-SWG pool CYA should be between 30 and 50 depending on weather conditions-heat and sun.

The only way to reduce CYA is to drain some water.

I am going to give you three links. The first two I would like you to print out if possible.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

This one is one you will want to bookmark and play with to learn how to use it. It does all of the math and such for you! It is so neat!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Let us know if you have ANY questions!

Kim

OK, I just can't believe it. See post #12 results. The pool had been vacuumed to waste several times in the last week, and the water was clear and nothing on the bottom. One day later the FC dropped to 16 and there was a light green film on the bottom, with a few larger "dust spots" where there was a slight dent or crease in the liner.

I vacuumed again. The FC was at slam level for days, vacuumed each day and there was no issue, but then it came back again.

I don't know if there is a question in there. Just very frustrated. There has been a pool there since 1990 and this has never been an issue before. I can't see where anything is different this year.

SLAM level for CYA of 90 is 35 ppm FC. Is that where you had it when you say the pool was at SLAM levels for days?

If it was lower, algae could continue to survive and multiply.

It's a nuisance to maintain such high FC levels for a SLAM, which is why you see the recommendations to drain some water in order to reduce CYA levels.

* Aquacheck "High CL" test strips for readings above 6........
I can't find these on their website. I was curious how high they read.

http://www.aquachek.com/search/?Keyword=high CL

Regardless, you made the right choice to get a proper test kit.

As mentioned, you most likely never killed all the algae because you could not properly test the FC level needed. Even if you could have, the CYA reading was way low with the strips.

If this were my pool I would drain & refill until I could get my CYA below 50ppm.

Dom

ANOTHER UPDATE - SAME THREAD:

I'm adding to the thread rather an starting a new one. The pool has been vacuumed many times, each time to waste. The SLAM was continued for days, per the letter of the law. The CYA has come down to 60, basically thru the wasting and adding water each time. The FC level is still way above target, but below slam. In recent days it has gone down only 1 or 2 ppm over night, except for one day when the temperature fell and it actually went up! All other numbers are per y'alls guidelines.

The water is crystal clear - better than it has ever been. I have improved the circulation so that I get any gunk settle in the middle for easy vacuuming. In past years any centerline settlement was "dirt", bugs, pieces of leaves, etc. NOW, I have a small circle (6-12") of green settlement. I remove it daily.

So, my new question is could it still be algae, or something else? And what to do next...

ANOTHER UPDATE - SAME THREAD:

I'm adding to the thread rather an starting a new one. The pool has been vacuumed many times, each time to waste. The SLAM was continued for days, per the letter of the law. The CYA has come down to 60, basically thru the wasting and adding water each time. The FC level is still way above target, but below slam. In recent days it has gone down only 1 or 2 ppm over night, except for one day when the temperature fell and it actually went up! All other numbers are per y'alls guidelines.

The water is crystal clear - better than it has ever been. I have improved the circulation so that I get any gunk settle in the middle for easy vacuuming. In past years any centerline settlement was "dirt", bugs, pieces of leaves, etc. NOW, I have a small circle (6-12") of green settlement. I remove it daily.

So, my new question is could it still be algae, or something else? And what to do next...
Which is it? Are you following SLAM guidelines, or something else?

Where is your FC? CC?

Yes, that is most likely algae because you are dancing with it, not killing it.

If you have visable algae, and you are losing 1ppm or more overnight, your SLAM (or whatever it is you are doing) is not yet successful.

There is no next yet, you're not done with killing the algae.

Dom

Which is it? Are you following SLAM guidelines, or something else?

Where is your FC? CC?

Yes, that is most likely algae because you are dancing with it, not killing it.

If you have visable algae, and you are losing 1ppm or more overnight, your SLAM (or whatever it is you are doing) is not yet successful.

There is no next yet, you're not done with killing the algae.

Dom

I followed the slam guidelines posted here, not something I made up myself. I bought your kit, so I know the numbers, its not a test strip. It was above slam shock numbers for 4 days straight, with vacuuming to waste each day, and the FC went down by only 1 each day. One day it went up, not down. FC was as high as 43 when I slammed. When it met the guidelines i stopped adding CL. Now a week later it has dropped to 26 with cc at 0.2.

The slam procedure says 1 ppm overnight. Now you say 1ppm overnight isn't good enough and Its not successful? So, what should it be - zero?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.