Short in my Intellichlor IC40

Jul 6, 2012
Austin, TX
My IC40 has a short in it and pops the breaker for in my easytouch station. I tested a replacement IC40 and it works fine, so my question is what could cause the short in the salt cell? The fins don't appear to have any scale on them or corrosion. Is it dead and useless now or can I resurrect it for a backup unit?

How do you know the short is in the cell and not the control unit? It could be the main transformer that has shorted since a short in the secondary circuit would probably not trip the breaker.

How do you know the short is in the cell and not the control unit? It could be the main transformer that has shorted since a short in the secondary circuit would probably not trip the breaker.

I would reset the break an within 30 seconds the breaker would trip. When I unplugged the IC40 the breaker would not trip for a day. I swapped out the IC40 and the breaker has not tripped for 2 days now.

OK, yes it does sound like a bad cell. Visually inspect the cell plates and make sure there is nothing lodged between the plates. Otherwise, it could be a problem with the wiring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.