New with pool balancing issues

Jun 18, 2015
Erie, PA
Hello! This is a great website - I am currently trying to convert from buying chemicals from the pool store to on our own with this websites help! We currently are using the sustain pool products and I just tested the pool with the following readings:
FC 7.5
CC 2.5
TC 10
Calcium Hardness 925
TA 170
CYA 40
Borate 15
pH 8.2

we just added the sustain chemicals on Thursday and after these readings we added 32 ounces of hth metal control and will plan to recheck tomorrow the TA and calcium hardness. Are we on the right track?? Thanks for any help!

Hello and welcome to TFP! We can get you fixed up without problems! I would stop adding anything to your pool other than what is recommended here. Typically you will use only bleach, muriatic acid and a few others. Can you tell us what your water looks like, is it clear?

Welcome you are in the right place I recently joined TFP and I can tell you the help I get here it's priceless. We will get your pool straight just follow our method. As PADucks mentioned stop adding this chemicals. I notice you have the TF-100 awesome. Your CH and TA is very high. What does your water look like is it clear?

Thanks! Most concerning right now would be your pH and the CC. The CC can indicate organics in your pool. Even though your pool is clear you could have some organics in your pool. I would bring your pH level down to around 7.5 using muriatic acid. You can use Pool Math to calculate the amount of acid needed to get to a target of 7.5 from 8.2. Your pH could be higher as the kit only reads to 8.2. In order to rule out organics I would perform an Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test (see Pool School). After you perform the OCLT we can worry about the TA and CH.

Thanks! Most concerning right now would be your pH and the CC. The CC can indicate organics in your pool. Even though your pool is clear you could have some organics in your pool. I would bring your pH level down to around 7.5 using muriatic acid. You can use Pool Math to calculate the amount of acid needed to get to a target of 7.5 from 8.2. Your pH could be higher as the kit only reads to 8.2. In order to rule out organics I would perform an Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test (see Pool School). After you perform the OCLT we can worry about the TA and CH.

Ok should I get the ph down first with the acid then do the oclt test? Or other way around? Since I dont have a SWG should I use dry acid or still ok to use liquid? We have used lo n slo in past from pool store and it never got the ph to stay down. I also have hth ph minus? Will that work? Sorry we have spent alot of money on these chemicals and want to be able to use them up if all possible if I cant return them thanks��

You can't do an OCLT test as you fail right out of the gate with a CC of 2.5. It needs to be .5 or less. I would add acid to bring pH to 7.2 then wait 30 minutes then add bleach for a target FC of 16. Keep it at 16 until your CC drop to 0 then do an OCLT.

I'm sorry, Robert is correct! You would fail because a 2.5 CC means you have organics in the water. Anyway, with your water being clear you should have a short SLAM before your CC reaches 0 - 0.5...

Hello!
today's numbers:

calcium 775
TA 120
Borate 15
Cl 1-2
Ph 7.5

Is the next step to add bleach to get chlorine up? Then? Thanks for everybody's help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes but you have to be more diligent...you can't let fc drop so low. You need to be testing at a minimum every 4 hours...every two if you can. Everytime FC drops below shock level you are allowing algae to reproduce faster than you are killing it.

You must bring up that FC! During the SLAM make sure you pump runs 24/7 and turn off your SWG if you have one. You should pour about 3 jugs of 8.5% bleach directly in front of a return. I would wait 30 minutes and test your FC. It should be at 16 or a little higher. Maintain that FC level of 16 by testing at least 2 times a day (4 is really my minimum) and not more than once per hour. If the FC drops below 16 add enough bleach to bring it back to 16. MAINTAIN that FC! When your CC reading is between 0 - 0.5 you can perform the OCLT. Follow the instructions for the OCLT found in the How To section of pool school. If you pass the OCLT you can start letting the FC drop to your target FC. I would target a FC of 7.

Once you have made sure organics are gone we can work on your CA and TA.

BTW, you can stop testing your TA, CA and pH. The pH is inaccurate at high FC levels. Also, the TA and CA are of no concern right now. Keep testing your FC and occasionally test the CC, maybe once every 4th time you test your FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.