My re-plum/equipment move project

PHXAZ

Mar 14, 2009
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Hi,

Thought I would document my process/progress on my equipment install and relocation project. Feel free to add advise and comments to help make the project a success.

For background, my wife and I purchased the house as a foreclouse back in November 08. The last owner took the pool equipment before they left. Leaving me with only stumps of plumming at the equipment pad. I have decided to move the equipment away from the master bedroom wall.

010.jpg

The first thing we did when we moved in was remove all of the dead landscaping (the house had sat empty for almost a year). We knew we weren't going to work on the pool equipment until the spring of '09 due to the work we wanted to do inside the house first, but we wanted to plant new landscaping right away to give it an additional 5-6 months of growth.

I don't have a picture with all the dead landscaping, but here is a picture before we did any demo work after the new landscaping was planted.

003-1.jpg

Once we completed work indoors (is really ever complete?), we started on getting the pool up to speed. One of the first things I did was remove the pool fence (we have self closing doors to the patio and side gate). I also have plans for additional Kool decking and a BBQ island. The existing concrete walkway was removed to make way for a new pour.

008.jpg

006.jpg

The trench on the left will be for the water line, the center line will be for the gas line and the trench on the far right is for the electrical line for the BBQ island.
poolproject021.jpg

After all the trenching, I was ready to clean out the swamp that had been brewing in the pool. I rented a sump pump from Home Depot to help with the job. I also used a power sprayer to clean out the entire pool.

poolproject011.jpg

poolproject012.jpg

poolproject014.jpg

New pool lines added. I increased the deck jets to 1 1/2 pipe from 3/4 to help improve the water movement.

010-1.jpg

Notice the electrical conduit on the left, that is todays goal, to get all the electrical lines run.

011-1.jpg

I have had several companies in to give me estimates for the gas run. I've had qoutes from $850- $1000 to run a 20' straight line from an existing BBQ stub at the back of the house to the BBQ island pad, with all the treching already done! More pricey than I thought It would be. I'm now contemplating adding a gas line from my main to the pool equipment area which is also about a 20' run. One contractor said they could do both runs for $1600. Lot of money for gas, but if I'm going to do it I need to do it now before the concrete decking gets poured. I can opt not to run the gas lines and use LP tanks at the BBQ island, but do Ii want the hassle of refilling tanks? Not really. I have two more gas companies giving estimates today.

Nice project so far.

Have you consulted with an electrician prior to running the conduit? It must be sized correctly.

Have you seen the BBQ area here at TFP? Dr Dave is the BBQ Guru who can steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck

It pays to have several compaines bid on projects. I had about five or so gas companies come out for the estimate on the gas line for the BBQ. I found two companies that would do it for half of my original quotes. One company I chose just wanted to have a job to keep it's employees busy in this slow time so we were able to negotiate down to $300 for the job. Two days later they were by to install.

They connected into the existing BBQ stub at the back of the house.

Picture199.jpg

Ran the line out about 20 feet to the concrete BBQ pad and set it up with another shutoff valve and a tee so I can run my BBQ grill and gas burner.

Picture202.jpg

I was able to complete my water line for the BBQ island the other day as well. You can see the stub to the right of the gas line.

Picture203.jpg

This is the water source I tapped into for the island. The lines left to right coming down are the auto-leveler for the pool, the BBQ island water and the line for the outdoor shower head which I have run a 3/4" line between the kool deck and the house and will install the shower head on the west facing wall (pool is on the north facing side of the house). I wanted something I could rinse off before jumping in the pool, like after mowing the lawn or yard work.

Picture201.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ordered up my equipment today. I purchased it through http://www.bargainpoolsupplies.com/ I spoke directly with Mark who was able to price match or beat each item that i found on the net. I've been searching the internet for three weeks on the equipment prices. Here is my equipment list.

Pentair Triton II - TR-100 sand filter
Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump - # 011013
Pentair Easytouch w/ chlorinator - # 520592
Poolvergnuegen Pool Cleaner - 2 wheel special edition - grey

My buget didn't allow for it at this point, but I'll be looking to add a wireless remote.

Shipping from California to Arizona should be no longer than 4-5 days. Hope to have it by the end of this week. At that point I'll be able to have the electrician in to run the electrical lines.

I have a friend donating a heater (not sure of the make or model) that I'll pick-up later this week.

I did purchase #8 bonding wire that I'll be installing tomorrow.

Nice work. You'll be happy with that equipment. This pool is lucky to have such a great adopted family! :-D Poor little fella, left all dirty and unequipped...

Good job not getting reamed on the gas line. Can't believe they were trying to charge you $1000 with the trench already there!

It's been awhile since I have had time to update. The pool has been up and running for about a month. I had John my electric friend over to install the EasyTouch system. We ran a new line from the main breaker to the EasyTouch pannel. We also ran three other lines to the BBQ island and the pool light. I thought I had pictures of the day we installed it, but for some reason I can't locate them.

5-4-2009017.jpg

The only photo I could find of the install

Later that week it was time to install the pool equipment. Again, I thought I took progressive pictures, but I can't locate them, so here is the finished product.

5-4-2009018.jpg

5-4-2009021.jpg

5-4-2009020.jpg

It might look like the heater is hooked up, but it's not. I need to get seals that will allow me to run the plumming into the heater. The earliest I'll need them is November so I have yet to run the gas, I decided to run the pool plumbing without it.

024.jpg

The one problem I ran into was too much pressure to the waterfountain. It also didn't give me enough pressure to the deck jets. To help that out i installed a valve.

5-4-2009019.jpg

This has helped the pressure problem to the water fountain but I am still having trouble with the deck jet on the right hand side furthest from the equipment pad. It either doesn't get enough pressure or I have a problem with the jet. Does anyone know where I can order just the plastic jet?

The only problem that I had on start up is all the Crud that was in the lines that I didn't change blew into the pool. It was greener than green after I fired up the pump. It took a gallon of muratic acid and 18 bags of shock to clear it up. Wish I had a few photos of that.

Here is a picture from today

5-4-2009015.jpg

I've added additional sprinklers to the irrigation system. We are going to add grass at this point. In the future we will add cool decking or step pads from the patio area to the pool. We use it this year and determine our use/need.

5-4-2009016.jpg

I'll add a photo of the waterfall and deck jets running one I fix the issue with the one jet. The only thing I have left to do is to program the Easytouch system. I've started and stopped programming it a few times. It's a bit more complicated than I thought.

Next project is to build the BBQ island, but that won't be till it cools down in the fall. Thanks to all those that have assisted me along the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.