sand filter and pump placement

May 6, 2008
hi again guys, just a quickie as its getting towards that time of year in Blighty

can i have my 1/3 hp pump and sand filter at the same level as the surface of my pool, at the moment is is about 1m lower

Cheers
Gazz

AGP pump is the key. I can' t find a site that indicates whether your pump is for AG or IG pools. If it's a pump designed for an above ground pool, it needs to be below the water level. If it's an inground pump, it will work at or above the water level.

JohnT said:
AGP pump is the key. I can' t find a site that indicates whether your pump is for AG or IG pools. If it's a pump designed for an above ground pool, it needs to be below the water level. If it's an inground pump, it will work at or above the water level.

Ahh, i see where ya commin from, ok mate ill ask the supplier me thinks

Thx John

Gazz

That pump is self-priming and I see no reason why it wouldn't work at pool level. Your water flow will decrease a bit, but still probably adequate. Is there enough slack in the hoses to allow you to do a test run before moving the filter?

For clarification here's a link about just what "self-priming" means. Most pumps in our industry are self-priming. That's one of the purposes of the strainer basket ("a charge of liquid sufficient to prime the pump must be retained in the casing"), and why the inlet on most pumps is above the level of the impeller. Generally the only pumps in the pool and spa industry that are NOT self-priming are spa pumps and booster pumps, both of which are strainer-less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.