Getting ready to go on vacation -- what does my petsitter need to do while I'm gone?

Jul 20, 2015
Waco TX
I am preparing for my first vacation since I have become a pool owner.

I have a petsitter who will be coming to my house on a daily basis. She's a reliable person who will carry out any instructions I leave her. I anticipate that the pool will be used minimally (if at all) while I'm gone (I've told the petsitter than she can use it but don't know if she will).

Here are my current numbers, based on daily testing over the past 2 weeks:
FC: 6 - 10 (maintained with SWCG, no additional chlorine added)
CC: 0
pH: 7.4 - 8.0 (tends to drift up which I am managing by adding muriatic acid as needed)
TA: 100 (working on getting this down by using muriatic acid to manage pH)
CH: 260
CYA: 70

Has anyone prepared instructions for while they are away that they would be willing to share with me? Any other pointers?

Since you have a SWG there shouldn't be much to do. I would bring the pH down to 7.2, make sure the SWG is set right, working and clean. And ask your pet sitter to empty the skimmers every couple days. That's about it.

BTW: With a 22k pool you are going to find that the T-9 cell you have is marginal. You will be replacing it sooner rather than later. When it goes (in a year or two), do yourself a favor and replace it with a T-15. It cost a few dollars more, but will last a lot longer.

Maybe some other things to leave for the sitter:
- Emergency number to pool builder (just in case)
- Depending on how long you are gone, how to test for chlorine?
- Instructions on what to look for around pool and pump station (shut-offs, breakers, normal gauge readings, etc)

Enjoy!

Chiefwej, just this week I have had a rather heated email exchange with my pool builder regarding the size of my SWCG. I think it's marginal (and mentioned this concern before it was installed); they insist it is more than adequate. Unfortunately they have gotten quite nasty about it. I even offered to pay the difference in cost but they still refuse. It is short sighted of them because it is going to earn them a negative online review from me (this SWCG isn't the only issue, it's just the cherry on top of a relationship that's been strained for a while).

A brand new T-15 cell only cost $400. In the grand scheme of a pool build, its not really that big. Since the control panel is the same it's an easy upgrade. Don't let that sour your excitement about your new pool. I just wanted you to be aware that it may cause you to have to run at higher % settings and it won't last as long. When you do have to replace, go for the T-15.

You should also be aware that in a new SWG pool you will be battling a constantly rising pH. It is normal and your consumption of muratic acid will taper off over time. Make sure to keep you pH under control to prevent scale from forming.

Enjoy your vacation, and congratulations on your new pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.