What causes red, stinging eyes?

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I'm on day 10 of balancing my pool chemistry, and so far, so good. On the second or third day my wife and I had a little bit of red, stinging eyes which seems to be gone now. At that time, my pH was about 7.2 (now 7.5), TA was about 50 (now 120), and FC was all over the place between 1 and 10 (probably will start to stabilize now that I've brought the CYA up from 0 to 30). Also, CH has come up from 25 to 150 and will be more tomorrow as I added another dose of calcium chloride today. CC was 0.5 on the first day and has been 0 ever since.

What is the most likely culprit that causes eye problems? Low pH? High FC? Low TA or CH? Something else? I'd like to be able to tell my wife what I did right so she continues to keep thinking that I know what I'm doing!

Very high FC (above the FC/CYA recommendations) can cause stinging eyes.
Also very low or very high pH can do it, but not at 7.2.

The most common cause, is chloramines, which is a byproduct of chlorine that has been "used up" while killing off organics.

Thanks, everybody. YippeeSkippy, my CH target is 200-220. No sense going higher than that with fiberglass. And I'm aiming for 40 for the CYA and hoping that keeps the FC level stable. I don't know what I would have done without these guidelines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.