Started SLAM process and still have algae on the bottom of my pool

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
Last night I started to SLAM

I checked this afternoon the FC level and using a Taylor k2006 kit after I put in the powder to turn it pink and then I was putting in the drops to clear it wouldn't turn clear. Even after 30 drops it still wasn't turning. My FC must be VERY high int his case correct?

The biggest problem is that I STILL have loads of algae on the bottom of my pool. I try and vacuum but as soon as I start my water gets so cloudy that I can't see anything. It's like a losing battle. I'm not sure how to actually clean my pool.

My PH level was good 7.4 and since I just started adding granuler conditioner last night it won't register for another week.

Hello,
Sounds like there are a couple things going on.
1st are you using 20ml sample or 10ml sample. If your using the 10ml sample your FC is greater than 15. That's good.
Whats your CYA level?

Remember chlorine kills the algae and then you have to filter out the dead algae.
You could vac to waste. Doesn't filter the dead algae out but sucks it right out with the loss of water. You could vac and keep an eye on the filter pressure and backwash as needed.

When you vacuum, move slowly and deliberately, you don't want to stir up the dead nasties. You may need to aim your return jet towards the surface vice down.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Hello,
Sounds like there are a couple things going on.
1st are you using 20ml sample or 10ml sample. If your using the 10ml sample your FC is greater than 15. That's good.
Whats your CYA level?

Remember chlorine kills the algae and then you have to filter out the dead algae.
You could vac to waste. Doesn't filter the dead algae out but sucks it right out with the loss of water. You could vac and keep an eye on the filter pressure and backwash as needed.

When you vacuum, move slowly and deliberately, you don't want to stir up the dead nasties. You may need to aim your return jet towards the surface vice down.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I was using the 20ML level.

I'm not sure what my CYA level is currently (it was 0 yesterday) but I tied a sock with the correct weight of conditioner last night and in reading Pool School it says it takes about a week to register.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.