Obtaining Quotes

ljann

Aug 1, 2015
North Florida
We are in the process of choosing between a few homes to purchase in the N Central Florida area. One has a pool, not our ideal set up but very nice. Other two would need pools installed :cool:. We have contacted a few pool companies looking for quotes and many refuse to even give a ballpark without knowing our address. They said it depends considerably on the home that we buy? All houses have wide access, no trees to clear, little to no slop in the yard etc. Is this a red flag when looking for a PB or is it a common thing? I have read a few places that some PBs base their price on your house?? Is this true? Or am I misconstruing their comments and is the actual property itself a huge factor (again keeping in mind that both properties are very similar) for just a ballpark number? Honestly we just want to get a good roundabout number based on our design ideas so that we can factor it into the purchase price of the house in our heads! (And don't worry, these houses aren't going anywhere... our market here is the coldest thing in Florida!;)).

FYI Our ideal pool would be SIMPLE small-medium (most likely SWG) with sun shelf and screened lanai. Concrete decking. Nothing fancy (no spa, jets, fountains etc). I attached a few pictures of the designs we like (some have features we don't necessarily need). We could also probably DIY some cleanup and prep and we have access to some heavy equipment. I have contacted both gunite and fiberglass builders as we are still on the fence (yes there is a FB shape we like so that isn't an issue).
pools-by-price.jpg18.-25K-to-35K.jpg3.-25K-to-35K.JPG

Any comments appreciated! TIA! :fish:

They DO need to see the property as each person has different ideas on what is level and easy access.

Ask some people who have built pools in the areas and see if they can/will share with you the price they paid.

Good luck!

Kim

I have a completely crazy question, but I'm dying to know. Why do Florida pool owners cover their pools with a screened room? Is it to protect them from wildlife (I'm thinking alligators?), insects and sun? I'm just so curious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a completely crazy question, but I'm dying to know. Why do Florida pool owners cover their pools with a screened room? Is it to protect them from wildlife (I'm thinking alligators?), insects and sun? I'm just so curious!

A couple of several reasons
1. Mosquitos are bad in the evening and night. . Without a screen,,there will not be much use of deck or pool in the evening, night.

2. Laws require a child safety fence around the pool. The screen can double as that fence.

3. The pool gets too hot in the summer without shade / screen.

4. Keep the lizards, frogs, and sometimes gators out.

I would prefer no screen but all the combined make it almost a requirement and a pretty penny too. Quotes i am getting are 7k to 9k with the footers required for hurricane code.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just had my screen installed. I love it because it makes the patio and pool feel like an extension of the house. No bugs is a great thing. I love how the 12' sliding door opens all the way up.

We had our house built last year and did a ton of research on existing homes with pools and us building a house and adding a pool later. I can say that it would have been much cheaper to buy the home with the pool. From my research and from talking to people, the pool only adds half of its cost to the value of the home. So if you are looking at a home for $250,000 and the pool cost was $50,000 then you are paying $225,000 for the house and $25,000 for the pool.

If you are wanting to do a pool you will pay anywhere from 19k-22k for the basic medium pool. shelves and other stairs usually are around $500 per add on. A spa is about $4500-$7000. Concrete is anywhere from $4-$16 per square foot depending if you want like a cool deck or stamped. A screened enclosure ranges from $6-$8 a square foot of your patio your trying to cover.

All prices are general from the several quotes I got here in central Florida. All were very close. Keep in mind there are several upgrades available that you will want as you go. Feel free to message me if you are looking for more specifics.

Thanks for the info CurrentKing, I agree that it is much more cost effective to buy a house with a pool already installed. We have only seen two houses that had pools though and one had a vinyl liner (complete no go with two water dogs and I believe it is just as costly to convert it to gunite).

I may be messaging you later for some company names to get quotes from!

AmyJo: My main reason for wanting a screen is BUGS. With a good enclosure it really does become an extension of the house. Throw in a ceiling fan on the patio and you have an (almost) year round outside space, no deet required :cool:. But I agree with the above replies on fencing laws, breaking up the sun, frogs, etc.

Thank you all for the explanations! You had me at MOSQUITOS/BUGS!! I have horrible memories of camping with my family in FL when I was a child - and visiting the ER because of reaction to all the bites I got. Say no more!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.