Tab usage

Jul 26, 2014
Gray/TN
Re: Trichlor tablets can work

Moderator note - Moved from here: Trichlor tablets can work - Page 2

I hope this is an appropriate thread in which to add this question. I have exclusively used the TFP method this year for my pool maintenance. After the initial SLAM it has been crystal clear and I have had to add nothing but 8.25% Clorox and muriatiac acid. Previously I was using calcium hypochlorite and sodium bisulfate but I did not understand the relationship between CYA and chlorine level so I was still getting some algae growth.

Anyway, we are going to be gone for a few days and would like to use trichlor pucks to keep the chlorine level up during that time. I am not sure exactly how to do this. Is there a relationship between how many pucks you place into the skimmer basket and what chlorine level is produced? The CYA level is currently 30, so I expect that a week or so of trichlor pucks will not raise it too much. I would like suggestions for how to go about this. I do leave my pump and filter running 24/7. Thanks in advance!

Re: Trichlor tablets can work

Dt, you can use pucks for when you leave. Most of us without SWG do so if we are going to be gone more than overnight.

The key to TFP is knowing what each thing you add to your pool does and adjusting for it.

What I do is fill up my floater, raise my FC to SLAM level and leave my pump running.

When I get home I take out any pucks left, let them dry out to save for next time. I do a full set of tests and adjust if needed.

Kim

You have lots of room for more CYA. You're in good shape.

A floating puck feeder will hold 4 or 5 8 oz pucks. 5 will only add 8.8 CYA to a 19000 gallon pool. (See Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath) I left for almost a week and did nothing but raise the water level to allow for evaporation and dropped the puck floater in. I left the pump on its normal schedule and everything else was already balanced. Came home to a lot of debris that needed vacuuming and crystal clear water.

This is one of the most common questions here: Search If the pool is otherwise healthy, it'll be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.