Taking the hard plumbed plunge

Jul 24, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
While draining water from the pool to lower the level for the Hayward skimmer install, we decided to change the original Intex flex hose configuration to PVC. If not for all those who've done this and documented their plumbing endeavors, I dare say we would not attempt it ;) it's a work in progress!

Here is all the pictures I have of how I hard plumbed my Intex Ultra frame 18' x 52" pool last year. I did this when I decided to add a Heyward wide mouth skimmer to the pool due to the fact that the stock skimmer Intex uses on this pool is useless ! I used 2" PVC mostly, except where I had to go up or down in size to attach to fittings throughout the setup. I installed 3 valves that I can turn off in order to service any aspect of the pump system. I also included 2 Union joints, one for the intake to the pump & one for the return. Just in case I had to remove any part of the pump system, I can do so. Those two have paid for themselves already this year. I used the original intake on the pool to add a fountain that I made out of PVC for the enjoyment of my Grandsons. It's not perfect but they all like it. I can turn it off when not needed as seen in the pictures. I also added a small 3/4" line capped off near the fountain line to supply water to a pool slide that I have not bought yet. That way I can put water on the slide from the pool so no one gets stuck to the slide ! I hope this helps ! Good luck ... Pool Plumbing Pictures Slideshow by reaper1964 | Photobucket

Consider the value of adding valves on the suction and return lines to allow you to be able to.clean your pump basket.and or make any equipment repairs easier.

Makes sense to have the valves, how many is too many, lol. I think our plan has 5: one each for the new skimmer, replacements for both Intex plunger valves, new return valve, and a fountain. Is this overkill or what, lol ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Here is all the pictures I have of how I hard plumbed my Intex Ultra frame 18' x 52" pool last year. I did this when I decided to add a Heyward wide mouth skimmer to the pool due to the fact that the stock skimmer Intex uses on this pool is useless ! I used 2" PVC mostly, except where I had to go up or down in size to attach to fittings throughout the setup. I installed 3 valves that I can turn off in order to service any aspect of the pump system. I also included 2 Union joints, one for the intake to the pump & one for the return. Just in case I had to remove any part of the pump system, I can do so. Those two have paid for themselves already this year. I used the original intake on the pool to add a fountain that I made out of PVC for the enjoyment of my Grandsons. It's not perfect but they all like it. I can turn it off when not needed as seen in the pictures. I also added a small 3/4" line capped off near the fountain line to supply water to a pool slide that I have not bought yet. That way I can put water on the slide from the pool so no one gets stuck to the slide ! I hope this helps ! Good luck ... Pool Plumbing Pictures Slideshow by reaper1964 | Photobucket

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing, I bet your grandsons will love having a slide. We will definitely incorporate union joints into the plan. Our SWG pump is separate from the sand filter, so we may end up using 3 of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.