PaulR says hi

PaulR

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Cupertino, CA
Been hanging around a while, I suppose I should say hi... my dad built a concrete pool when I was a kid, I helped take care of it. We first had a filter with some kind of cylindrical cartridges, after a couple years that failed and we got a sand filter. The drop tests for chlorine and pH haven't changed any since then! But pool chemistry seems to have advanced considerably since then. I'm certain my dad would have been on top of everything that was known in the 1960s-70s, he was a chemical engineer.

So, we bought this house about 6 months ago and it came with a pool. And a hot tub. My wife is amused, but still pleased, at how I've taken to the care and feeding of the beasts. Finding this forum has been a godsend.

--paulr

A little while ago I added the tag "BBB Advanced Beginner" to my sig, and some people have wondered about that. Well, my wife didn't know what Advanced Beginner meant either, so I guess the joke was a little too subtle (or maybe just obscure).

When I was but a tadpole, my sister progressed through the Red Cross training levels to WSI (Water Safety Instructor) and then started giving lessons at our house, using our pool. I was in one of these classes, and when we finished I was awarded an official RC card affirming that I had achieved the rank of Advanced Beginner. I hung onto that card for a long time, but it has gone the way of all things.

RC no longer uses that designation, the levels are much more mundanely labeled, but some swimming schools still use the old names and Advanced Beginner apparently corresponds to RC Level III. But it remains the highest achievement level that I was ever officially awarded, and a couple years later my cohorts on the town swim team thought it was a great joke that an Advanced Beginner could win a county-wide breaststroke race in the 10-12 age class.

So what would make a BBB Advanced Beginner? Obviously beyond a brand new pool owner, has a handle on water chemistry and successfully manages their own pool. More than that, has progressed to the point of having enough confidence and learning to be able to help newbies with their more straightforward problems. The Advanced Beginner does not (yet) have the depth or breadth of experience and knowledge to be considered a true expert, however, or even Intermediate. (Analogizing to RC terms, safe to swim in the deep end and can help out a buddy, but hasn't mastered the more complex strokes or the flip turn.)

(I supposed Beginning Intermediate Techno Chump, as somebody jokingly suggested, might be appropriate for somebody who has plumbed the depths of their own plumbing or feels prepared to DIY a set of solar panels; I have not done either of these things.)
--paulr

"Advanced Beginner" is commonly used in dog training classes where you have Puppy kindergarten, Basic Obedience, Advanced Beginner - and even after finishing that most dogs and owners are still pretty clueless :)

Kinda like me not knowing what soda ash is.

PaulR said:
(I supposed Beginning Intermediate Techno Chump, as somebody jokingly suggested, might be appropriate for somebody who has plumbed the depths of their own plumbing or feels prepared to DIY a set of solar panels; I have not done either of these things.)
--paulr
After looking at that again I realized something and we might not want to use that!

Beginning
Intermediate
Techno
CHump

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Paul, seems to me like you're doing GREAT!! :goodjob: I see a LOT of posts that you are answering and saying what any other 'expert' would say 8)

You certainly have this forum "nailed" :!: and always give the (good) advice that others here would have :whoot:

(If Jason needs another moderator, I'd have you at the top of the list :cheers: )

waste said:
(If Jason needs another moderator, I'd have you at the top of the list :cheers: )
No, no... anything but that... okay, I am obviously putting in too much time on the board. Gotta cut back, gotta shake it, gotta... gotta...

Hi, my name is Paul and I'm a recovering pool geek.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support