New PB - pump with future solar

There are very few solar pumps on the market, most that are out there use DC permanent magnet motors and DC power straight from the solar panel with no loss for converting to AC or storing in a battery. The advantage of this design is the pump will speed up and slow down depending on the amount of sunlight. The downside is they are hard to find in North America, there have been importers in the past, but I don't know if anyone is importing them now. The other downside is since they are generally from Europe, the pumps tend to have metric fittings and metric to US standard pipe adapters.

Lorentz is a german company with distributors across NA. We use their PS 600 pump and C17.1 MPPT controller - it runs exactly as Isaac-1 states - it is also a 3 phase motor. There is also a company in California called SunPumps, but i have no experience with them.

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

If your question assumes you will use your pool pump for powering the solar, I would recommend a variable speed pump with sufficient power to satisfy all current and future needs. I'm using a Pentair Inteliflo VS 011018 (3 hp) pump. At low flows (1,000 rpm) it draws about as much power as a single 100 w light bulb, and can be ramped up to provide as much power and flow as you are ever likely need. It cost a bit more up front, but provides a lot of flexibility and potential energy savings.

Lorentz is a german company with distributors across NA. We use their PS 600 pump and C17.1 MPPT controller - it runs exactly as Isaac-1 states - it is also a 3 phase motor. There is also a company in California called SunPumps, but i have no experience with them.

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Nice find, just found that pump in florida :

Lorentz_PS600 CS-17-1 | Florida Solar Pump

PS600 CS-15-1, Lorentz Solar Pool Pump System - DC Solar Pool Pump | Florida Solar Pump

http://www.floridasolarpump.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/17lorentz_PS600_cs-17-1_pi_en-us_ver30132.pdf

Do the math on your utility bill - it will be a larger upfront cost over a normal AC pump, but could pay off within 10 years....our Lorentz is tied to 1.5 kW of solar panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.