SWG salt concentration and cell size

Henry Porter

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 7, 2008
Sweden
Hi danjipool, I have a few questions upon swg aswell, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your thread.
Split from this topic. Please ask questions in your own topic. Otherwise answers to your questions and the original posters questions can get mixed up and create confusion. Thanks! JasonLion

Does most swg brands utilize the same concentrations of salt? Or are there brands that are more effcient and requires less salt? If so which?
I know from my research of swedish brands that most of them recommend salt concentrations that range from 4000-6000ppm. From a corrosion perspective would it be great to be able to minimize the salt level in the water. I know from previous correspondes with Jason that US brands doesen't need more than 3000ppm in most cases, maybe thats as low as you can go!?
Also are there any thumb of rule about how many grams/hour a swg needs to produce to maintain a clean pool. For a 16K gallon what should I look for.

Thanks in advance!

Split from this topic. Please ask questions in your own topic. Otherwise answers to your questions and the original posters questions can get mixed up and create confusion. Thanks! JasonLion

Every forum have their own rules!! Question asked had a clear relation to the thread starters original topic. But if you prefer new topics instead of following question on an already existing thread that's OK by me. Since he asked general questions about swg's My intention was that my following questions on the subject might had some interest to him aswell, that's why I asked them there. I guess you moderating on a higher level than I'm used to :wink: :goodjob:
Personal I have no problem that people chime in with additional questions as long they are related to my topic. That leads to better discussions and often better knowledge.

Hi Henry,

US is pretty much the only country where 3000ppm is mainstream.
The rest use 4000-6000 and sometimes even sea water.

From a corrosion perspective, the difference is minimal, provided that quality building materials are used.

3000 is not the limit, most chlorinators can go a bit lower.
Autochlor has a prototype that works on "fresh" water, which is currently undergoing testing.

With regards to how much chlorine you need, it highly depends on a climate and pool usage pattern.
There are multiple calculators on the net, including one on our site, and I think Jason's pool calculator can do it as well.

Strannik,

Just curious if you know why the US uses lower salt levels vs basically the rest of the world.

It looks like you guys sell an Australian, European and US version. What is the difference between them?

My unit runs at about 26 Volts and 4-8 Amps (bi-polar cell) but what about the units outside the US?

Thanks

I'm not sure why US is 3000, i guess it comes down to different gradations of saline water.

Here's the gradation i've found on one of your sites:

Fresh water - Less than 1,000 ppm
Slightly saline water - From 1,000 ppm to 3,000 ppm
Moderatly saline water - From 3,000 ppm to 10,000 ppm
Highly saline water - From 10,000 ppm to 35,000 ppm
http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/drinkseawater.html

The SWG itself is actually more efficient at higher salt concentrations, with ideal being see water or even 35% brine :)

There are 2 differences between Australian and European model:
First is the diameter of cell housing outlets, as European piping differs from Australian and USA.
Second is absence of timer and pump outlet on European units. On SMC units pump can be hardwired if needed and timer is optional. Also European AC/RP units run on 220V vs 240V for Australia.

USA models have same piping as Australian, but no pump outlet and timer. On SMC units pump can be hardwired if needed and timer is optional. Also lower salt level (3000 is minimum recommended, low salt alarm at 1000 and shutdown at 500ppm) is required for SMC models.

Any SMC models can be switched between 110/220V.

The volts/amps depend on cell design and vary between manufacturers.

Our SMC has a bipolar cell so runs around 3-5A @25V
AC/RP have different cell designs, normal ones are 5-50A @ around 7-8V, semi bipolar ones have higher voltage but lower current. Commercial ones run up to 625A @ 6V per cell, bigger SWGs use combinations of cells.

Strannik said:
Hi Henry,

US is pretty much the only country where 3000ppm is mainstream.
The rest use 4000-6000 and sometimes even sea water.

From a corrosion perspective, the difference is minimal, provided that quality building materials are used.

3000 is not the limit, most chlorinators can go a bit lower.
Autochlor has a prototype that works on "fresh" water, which is currently undergoing testing.

With regards to how much chlorine you need, it highly depends on a climate and pool usage pattern.
There are multiple calculators on the net, including one on our site, and I think Jason's pool calculator can do it as well.

Hi Strannik!
What a awesome calculator you got on your site. I ended up inbetween two models depending if I should run my pump 10 or 12h/day.
I need to do a proper calculation on how many turnovers my pool needs together with how many gpm I can run through my heatpump and based on those two figures calculate which of the two models I need.
Are their any specific flowrates on a swg that I need to consider? I coulden't see any figures on your site.

Corrosive water or not! I think it was on this site I've read that a user who has stainless steel in the pool can use 3000ppm without any issues but not 6000ppm. If I'm correct in my observation I could run your types with either 3000 or 6000.

Strannik what the reason for the european model missing timer? My plan is to do it simple for me the first summer. By installing a contactor and a automatic circuit breaker for the pump and run the HP on the built in timer which was the plan on the swg aswell, using the built in timer.

btw if something happens with the pump does the swg turn itself off when the flow stops? Are you ruin the unit if not?

Sorry for all the questions Strannik!

Regards Mats

Water flow: 150 – 450 lt/minute. 480 kpa max. pressure.
The specs are in the user manual.

The reason european models are using timer is because our major european customers don't need it.
When they install the SWG they use external system to control it.

On SMC units timer is optional, but I'm not sure if it can be installed on AC/RP. We can order custom made SWG from a supplier, which will suit specific application, but it will be more expensive.

When the water turns off the unit will shut off and display alarm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.