Solid pool conditioner question

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
Hey all,

I'm going to start raising my CYA level tonight and I have some questions.

I thought I was going to be using liquid stabilizer but ended up needing to buy solid pool conditioner.

I've been told that I need to put it in a sock and put it near my "return". Is that my skimmer basket? Can I start shocking my pool tomorrow if I start the conditioner tonight? I need to get from 0 to 30 and I've done the pool math and basically I'll need 2lbs of solid stabilizer. I'm also assuming I run my filter during this time. I think I'm just going to leave it over night and then start the shock process tomorrow. Is that going to be OK?

Thanks, I'm sorry I'm such a n00b at this :)

Hello! Yes, we typically place the solid form (granular) stabilizer in a sock. Some place it in a sock near/in the skimmer, but I would venture to say most simply hang the sock near a return jet with the pump running. You can squeeze the sock from time to time to help disperse the stabilizer. Remember it will take about a week to show-up on yore CYA testing. Once added, consider it in there at the level you projected and start your SLAM whenever you need to.

put it near my "return". Is that my skimmer basket?
No the return "returns" water to your pool. The skimmer intakes water that goes up to the pump. Many put the conditioner in a sock and throw it in thje skimmer because your pump will run 24/7 during the SLAM.

read "SLAM" in the "How To" section up in Pool School.

No the return "returns" water to your pool. The skimmer intakes water that goes up to the pump. Many put the conditioner in a sock and throw it in thje skimmer because your pump will run 24/7 during the SLAM.

read "SLAM" in the "How To" section up in Pool School.

When you say "skimmer" you mean the basket that it's in my pool correct? I can just put the sock in or near that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just dumped 8 pounds of Clorox Stabilizer in the deep end.
Some brushing was needed to get it to dissolve completely.
It registered at the intended level on the test the very next day.

I'm glad it didn't cause you any problems, but we don't suggest doing this with many products, because the risk of staining or damaging a finish is high. Not a good plan with most products.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.