Dead Pump advice HELP!

Jun 11, 2015
Coppell/Texas
Hey everybody, Sorry to not spend the time searching for previous articles on pumps but I got home from a trip last night and leave on another one Tuesday and need to replace my pump ASAP since it is toast (actually burned my hand when I touched the side of it.) Here are a couple of pictures of my equipment but I really need recommendations on what to get. This pump has been replaced before by my home warranty and I will not go that route again since it was loud and junk from day one. My pool is a big bathtub at only 11,800 gallons with SWG.

Thanks in advance,
Francisco

IMG_2540.jpg
IMG_2541.jpg
IMG_2542.jpg

You have a Pentair Whisperflo pump, which actually is a good pump. It looks like only the motor was only replaced because the original motor was tan also. That replacement motor could have been a cheapie. My recommendations are to get a better motor or replace the whole pump with the same kind, unless you want to go to a Variable Speed Pump, which are more expensive but very energy efficient. All depends on your wallet.

You have a Pentair Whisperflo pump, which actually is a good pump. It looks like only the motor was only replaced because the original motor was tan also. That replacement motor could have been a cheapie. My recommendations are to get a better motor or replace the whole pump with the same kind, unless you want to go to a Variable Speed Pump, which are more expensive but very energy efficient. All depends on your wallet.

Thank you. Right now I'm going to have to just replace the motor (AC died as well!) Any recommendations on motors and where to get them from. The ranges I see are all over the place and I have no way to tell where to focus. I'd like to order off of amazon but I have to get the motor by tomorrow or Monday latest so I can replace it before my trip.

Thanks again,

Francisco

I would look at getting a 2 speed motor like the Pentair 2 HP Two Speed Motor 071321S

also, add bleach daily to your pool to maintain FC, brush it or swim to keep it mixed up. That way you won't have a dead pump and a swamp.

Check Poolplaza.com they sell replacement motors, complete pumps, and pump parts etc. They are based in Dallas, but I don't know if they have a brick and mortar store front or weekend hours

p.s. looking at their web page, they have saturday hours and same day delivery available in the metroplex

Pool pump motors are not rare and sacred objects. You should be able to get one, at a reasonable discount, from your local electric motor shop. You'll pay tax, but no shipping and there is a good chance they will have it in stock.

As stated, you can probably get by with just a motor (looks like a 2 HP 1.1 SF on the label - so make sure the new motor matches or exceeds that) . Or you can get a replacement pump - but a 2HP pump is just way oversized unless you have some water features like a spa, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.