Outdoor TV

The general feeling around here is to buy an indoor tv and replace it when it dies, considering you can get a 50+ inch tv from Amazon for under $300 these days, they are getting to the disposable price point, in fact I just bought a refurbished 48 inch "smart" tv for my pool house wall off Amazon last week for $350, complete with all the built in streaming features, wifi so it can connect the home DLNA hard drive, etc. We have members reporting such TV's last 3-4 years or more with minimal weather sheltering.

My indoor tv has been outside for a year and a half under a roof, even had a bird's nest this spring. Works great. I have a friend who mounted his on an unsheltered outside wall and puts a bbq grill cover over it when not in use. Been out there at least a year.

Very nice cabana. I am not like the other folks, I went with a 55" from Sunbrite. They are expensive but my TV is more exposed than most. TV's from Sunbrite are all weather and they can be directly in snow and rain and still work.

Double check on the rain case....or....what I did....

i picked up two matching wall mounts from amazon for $25 each...when i want the tv outside, I unplug it from the kitchen, pop it off the indoor mount and move it outside? Takes 30 seconds....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do the same as Brett_N. A regular indoor Sharp 40" TV. I have a mount in my garage and 1 on the wall outside on my patio. I ran an HDMI connection and power to each location. I leave it outside most of the summer. I bought a cover online to protect it from the elements when not in use. So far so good.

Just a note on storing TVs under a cover: make sure it's made of fabric that can breathe. Humidity will get trapped inside the cover a lot of times and cause pre-mature corrosion. The "outdoor tvs" do have coated circuit boards to withstand weather but they are very cheaply made to begin with. I did home theater for years and I always recommend the Issac-1 method.

Nice idea, but he wants a 50" tv, not a 20" one. There's no such thing as quick and easy mounting with those due to the size and weight. It's always awkward, and often requires 2 people. Using a sturdy cart that you can just roll outside is probably more effective for a tv of that size.

I use a regular indoor TV on a cantilevered mount that I can pull outside of the cabana and then store inside. I am also in Ontario so I bring it in from October-April.

s7YXHYaqI1r_nw8tNFdPD1OOm8nllrT_7RQn5N7KmRjH=w1067-h800-no

How do regular tv's handle the heat? I live in Phoenix, so it'd get pretty darn hot outside....

We have a guest room 37" cheapo Walmart BF tv that I'd be willing to put outside, but figure in the AZ sun it'd get baked and die...even in shade it can be pretty hot.

This is less of an issue in Canada but assuming that it is in the shade I don't think it would be an issue. Surely there are people in Arizona, Mexico and other very hot places that have TVs but do not have Air Conditioning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.