Advice needed for new pool owner

Mar 16, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
I purchased a used 21’ AG pool last fall and set it up and filled about half way shortly before freeze up. This spring I plan to set up the pump/filter/plumbing. Is there a diagram or something I can look at to see how to best set it up as far as valves, pressure gauge and things like that? I’m not familiar at all with pool set up, and so am not even sure what goes where.

I’m in Manitoba, and so will not likely be using the pool until late May. Should I start adding chemicals as soon as I have everything set up, or wait until a few weeks before using it? I’ve ordered a K2006 test kit and am planning to use BBB.

One more question (for now), what is DE? (never mind, found it in the "Pool Filter Comparison" article.) :-D

Thanks.

First, Welcome!

If you have only one skimmer, that will go directly into the pump. If you have only one return, that will come out of the filter. Valves might be useful on both lines for working on the equipment so when disconnecting a line, the pool doesn't drain :shock:.

If you have more detail on what the pool has and what the equipment has, we might be able to help a bit more.

Also, the filter should come with a pressure gauge.

Most AGP are plumed about the same. Out of the skimmer into the pump,from pump to filter out of the filter back to the pool. In my setup I have solar panels I run it trough after the filter and then to the pool. This is a photo of my set up and yours should be about the same (minus the solar panels unless you put some in).

The experts will be along to help with the chemicals but my thought would be adding chemicals will be easier to take care of after you have everything set up and running. I'm sure right now you have a solid block of ice so there is nothing you can do at this point. What I would do right now is get a good test kit I use the TF 100 and highly recommend it. http://www.tftestkits.com/index.php
You are going to want to have everything ready before your water temp hits 50 degrees, after 50 the chance of an algae bloom start to increase.

If you have any more questions just keep on asking you are at the right site for help with this.

Attachments

• 3360841155_fd6a4a7303.jpg
    3360841155_fd6a4a7303.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 503
Hi and welcome :wave:

It's very difficult to maintain proper water balance without circulation. So go ahead and take care of that first, once you have your filter hooked up, you can fill the pool and get the filter running, then you can work on the water balance. Once the water is in and the filter is working, no other reason to wait, since it's an AG pool.

When you're ready to move on to that step, post any questions here on this thread, and we'll be glad to help.

Mark, you're right, I have one skimmer and one return. Thanks.

98xc600 said:
This is a photo of my set up and yours should be about the same (minus the solar panels unless you put some in).

Thanks for the pic, helps alot. I'm guessing that the blue hose connected to the filter is for backwashing? Where are you located, I'm curious as to how much the solar panels would help where I am. You just have them laid out on the ground?

Thanks for the responses!

Yes the blue hose is for back washing the filter.
I live in southern MN, so what the solar panels do for me is going to be a whole lot different for you and what you want for temps living in Manitoba. I hope someone could pass this thread along to NWMNMOM because she lives just a little south of you and has a lot of solar panels and could help you with what benefits you could see from them.

I finished setting up my pump and filter today, but am not quite ready to top up the pool and start it up because we've had below freezing temps at night (still). But, I did do my first test today.

When testing for chlorine, the water did not turn pink. Does this mean no chlorine is present? I did add a jug of bleach a few days ago, but before that hadn't added any since fall.
Ph 7.0 (I think)
TA 30
I tried testing for CYA but it didn't work, I'm assuming that's because none is present, as I haven't added anything to the water yet.

The water is quite clear, but is dirty at the bottom. The ice finally melted a couple of days ago, so the water is still very cold.

I guess I'm not sure if I should wait til all chance of freezing is gone before topping up and starting the pump? Until then, do I try to start balancing the water at all?
Thanks.

Thanks.

rickpenner said:
I finished setting up my pump and filter today, but am not quite ready to top up the pool and start it up because we've had below freezing temps at night (still). But, I did do my first test today.

When testing for chlorine, the water did not turn pink. Does this mean no chlorine is present? I did add a jug of bleach a few days ago, but before that hadn't added any since fall.
Ph 7.0 (I think)
TA 30
I tried testing for CYA but it didn't work, I'm assuming that's because none is present, as I haven't added anything to the water yet.
The water is quite clear, but is dirty at the bottom. The ice finally melted a couple of days ago, so the water is still very cold.

I guess I'm not sure if I should wait til all chance of freezing is gone before topping up and starting the pump? Until then, do I try to start balancing the water at all?
Thanks.

Thanks.

No pink = no chlorine

If you added the chlorine but no cya it was probably destroyed by UV rays. Is your pool uncovered?

I would wait, on the filtration side, till freezing risks have passed. There will be no CYA because you haven't added it. Save your reagents for when you have CYA in the water :wink:

By the time the water temp reaches 60 degrees is when you need to ensure the water is properly balanced to avoid algae. Without circulation it will be hard to balance the chems. You could put some borax in to raise the PH and use a brush to dissolve/circulate it. Or pre-dissolve it in a bucket of water and then pour it in, and brush to circulate.

I topped off my pool yesterday and started to do my first vacuum. I have a pretty good layer of dirt at the bottom. It’s not a lot, just whatever accumulated over winter and settled to the bottom. Is it a good idea to vacuum this to waste, or can I just go through the filter? I tried it for a bit (filtering) and the return looked to be cloudy as if the filter wasn’t catching everything. It is a brand new filter with new sand. I also tried vacuuming to waste, but that brings the water level down FAST!

I talked to a guy at the pool store when I was there buying sand, he said he had never heard of anyone adding DE to their sand filter? I thought maybe the DE might help for filtering the fine dirt/dust?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Large visible debris shouldn't be getting the filter. If it is it usually means there is something wrong with the filter. Of course, in rare cases it is possible for enough extremely fine debris to get through for the return water to be visibly clouded. In this later case, adding DE will help, though not solve the problem completely.

One thing you could try, to check how the filter is working, is to tie a stocking to the return. If the stocking collects visible debris that is getting through the filter then something is wrong with the filter. The most common problem is the sand becoming channelized, which is especially common if you have a relatively large pump and a relatively small filter.

If there is a solid layer of dirt on the bottom of the pool then it is often worth vacuuming to waste, even though that means refilling the pool frequently and rebalancing your water. If the dirt is scattered or can't be picked up efficiently then vacuuming on normal filter mode is best. There is no one best way to do this, both approaches can work and it is more of a question of balancing out the various disadvantages.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.