How do I add chemicals?

nicpppardo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2013
Brand new to hot tub life (still waiting for electrician to run the line, so haven't even set it up yet), but I had a couple of questions. For reference, I will be using the dichlor-to-bleach route.

How do I add chemicals to a spa? Do the pumps need to be running? From what I've read, it seems like things "cycle" on the hot tub every couple of hours. Basically, what I'm getting at is... Should I ever add my chemicals (whatever they may be at the time) to standing water? Do I wait for the cycle? Do I turn on the pumps?

Last question: the instructions are to shock the hot tub once a week up to 12ppm. How long does it take for that to go down to 6ppm? From what I've read, it's uncomfortable to get into a hot tub with a FC above 10ppm (when following the dichlor method), so I was just wondering how long after shocking can I get into the hot tub comfortably?

Thank you all! I appreciate the help with my super newbie questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn the pump on low speed for all chemical additions and let it run 15-30 minutes after to get it all mixed in. More on pool chemicals here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You need to test your chlorine and PH regularly and often enough to gain an understanding of how your rub behaves, chlorine usage PH ranges, etc. It won't take long for you to see the patterns and gain an understanding of managing your tub. Take notes for a while and pretty soon it will be second nature.

Congratulations Nicpppardo! Please consider using Ahh-Some to decontaminate your spa. Biofilm is a real health hazard and if you do not have a clean spa to begin with, your water balancing endeavours will be frustrating. Get your self a quality kit according to the experts on this site. I am a newbie too and have done enough reading here to appreciate the experts advice. Follow label directions to the letter as well.

Thank you! I actually did buy some Ahh-some based on what people said on this forum, but question about that- I am in SoCal where we basically have water police haha. Is it necessary to empty the spa one month (or less) after filling it the first time? I've read in a few different places that this is recommended because you can't be sure what the hot tub came from the factory with, but I figured I'd ask!

I have read that myself. However, I feel confident that if I get totally clean with the Ahh-Some purges, I will wait the three months before I dump and refill.
I am going to also watch the water and see what it tells me. If someone does not do a purge for whatever reason, I surely would toss the water after a month.

I have only drained my tub twice in 18 months and for no particular reason. There were no issues and the new water was not any better than the old water. When temps are under 80 or 90 we use it at least 5 days per week. When above 90 we use it a couple of time per week. I maintain my tub with this process, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?. We are very happy with our tub, our water and the whole process.

Thank you all for the replies! I'm going to fill it up and start using it, and probably drain it after a month with an ahh-some clean. Don't want the water police after me :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.