Homebrew filter cleaner?

Mar 14, 2009
I prefer saving $$ by using mixtures of common chemicals rather than someones “product”. For instance, I dilute some bleach and add a bit of detergent rather than use $20/gal “deck cleaner”.

However I am not a believer in the popular, but misguided, “ammonia, bleach, or vinegar will do anything” approach.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a cleaning mixture for cartridge filters?

Thanks

Curmudgeon

350 gal Infinity using BBB

Dishwasher detergent or TSP, one cup to 5 gallons of water. Muriatic acid may also be called for, but read the cartridge manufacturer's instructions.

This thread might be useful to you.
how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html

The dishwasher detergent you want is the powdered kind. Also be aware that TSP sold today in hardware stores and such is usually not tri sodium phosphate but, rather, a TSP substitute (often sodium metasilicate or sodium carbonate--read the small print on the label and look at the ingredients!) and is not an effective filter cleaner. IF you can get real tri sodium phosphate it is excellent to use. It is usually only available to those in construction and related industries, however.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.