Horrors! You're putting what in your laundry??

singingpond

Sep 15, 2013
Connecticut
As a nice complement to misgivings about putting laundry bleach (!!) in a swimming pool...

I was at the supermarket earlier, buying some bleach, for laundry, of all things. Up above the bleach shelves I noticed a Clorox product I haven't noticed before - dry granular laundry bleach. Curious, I picked it up to see what it said about ingredients... "contains sodium dichloroisocyanurate". I didn't write down the chemical name, but that's my best recollection.

So, someone apparently is using dry pool shock (dichlor) on his/her laundry as we speak. Won't that cause stains, fading, etc.? It can't be right!!

Incidentally, the stuff was $4.99 for 1.5 pounds, which would be a good price for pool dichlor. However, I couldn't find anything about other ingredients that might be in the product. Otherwise I'd be tempted by the price (I like to have a little dichlor on hand for pre-vacation use). I wonder if it is exactly the same as the pool product, just with different packaging and pricing...

You know, that is a good question and I'm having trouble finding the MSDS for it. I found one for the packs that contains dichlor and sodium carbonate (so chlorine and pH up!) but nothing on the straight powder.

I would like to know the answer to this one too. There are occasions where I wouldn't mind having a little dichlor on hand. Few and far between, but occasions.

Well, that doesn't sound worth buying as a pool chemical, although I'm tempted to buy some to test what the actual chlorine level is. I assume the product, for laundry and cleaning purposes, has to be formulated more consistently than those huge ranges cloaked in "trade secret" obscurity.

I had trouble finding the product online under my first few search terms, as I didn't remember the exact name of the product after I got home - if anyone is interested, it's marketed as Clorox Control Bleach Crystals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.