sand from backwashing

Jun 13, 2007
Michigan
I am in the middle of converting from bacquacil and yesterday the pump locked up. I bought a new pump to replace it since it was about 3 yrs old. The new one lasted 2 days and started making a loud whinning sound so i returned it figuring it was defective...Now i have been vacuming and backwashing alot from converting and just now noticed a lot of sand from where the backwash empties out. Now the new pump is starting to make some odd noises. Any ideas??? Its a wayward pump and sand filter... could the sand be getting into the pump?

Thanks for any help

tld

tldslick said:
I am in the middle of converting from bacquacil and yesterday the pump locked up. I bought a new pump to replace it since it was about 3 yrs old. The new one lasted 2 days and started making a loud whinning sound so i returned it figuring it was defective...Now i have been vacuming and backwashing alot from converting and just now noticed a lot of sand from where the backwash empties out. Now the new pump is starting to make some odd noises. Any ideas??? Its a wayward pump and sand filter... could the sand be getting into the pump?

Thanks for any help

tld

Don't think the backwashed sand is relevant to your pump. The path for the water puts the sand (assuming it's filter sand) between the filter and the backwash outflow........the pump is, of course, prior to that.

I have no clue why your pumps seem to be dying.

i cracked open the sand filter and the main manifold is broke in half with the lateral just laying around on top of the sand...i am assuming its getting into the pool and as i vaccum to waste its throwing it out that way...since im still in the converting stage i cant make out the bottom of the pool yet to actually see the sand...im assuming i just can buy the internal parts for this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.