Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sand from backwashing

1. Back To Top    #1

sand from backwashing

I am in the middle of converting from bacquacil and yesterday the pump locked up. I bought a new pump to replace it since it was about 3 yrs old. The new one lasted 2 days and started making a loud whinning sound so i returned it figuring it was defective...Now i have been vacuming and backwashing alot from converting and just now noticed a lot of sand from where the backwash empties out. Now the new pump is starting to make some odd noises. Any ideas??? Its a wayward pump and sand filter... could the sand be getting into the pump?

Thanks for any help

tld
    10k AG Chois Pool
    Sand Filter
    Royal Entrance Stairs

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: sand from backwashing

Quote Originally Posted by tldslick
    I am in the middle of converting from bacquacil and yesterday the pump locked up. I bought a new pump to replace it since it was about 3 yrs old. The new one lasted 2 days and started making a loud whinning sound so i returned it figuring it was defective...Now i have been vacuming and backwashing alot from converting and just now noticed a lot of sand from where the backwash empties out. Now the new pump is starting to make some odd noises. Any ideas??? Its a wayward pump and sand filter... could the sand be getting into the pump?

Thanks for any help

tld
    Don't think the backwashed sand is relevant to your pump. The path for the water puts the sand (assuming it's filter sand) between the filter and the backwash outflow........the pump is, of course, prior to that.

I have no clue why your pumps seem to be dying.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

i cracked open the sand filter and the main manifold is broke in half with the lateral just laying around on top of the sand...i am assuming its getting into the pool and as i vaccum to waste its throwing it out that way...since im still in the converting stage i cant make out the bottom of the pool yet to actually see the sand...im assuming i just can buy the internal parts for this?
    10k AG Chois Pool
    Sand Filter
    Royal Entrance Stairs