discoloration on floor of vinyl pool

Jul 16, 2015
Centerton, AR
Hi. we recently got a new small vinyl ring pool. 15'x42" round 3400 Gal. I didn't think we put enough chlorine in to start after a week the floor became discolored. Thinking it was algae of some kind I got the FC up to 10+ for about 2 days trying to get rid of it. unfortunately a storm came through and knocked off the filter and all the water drained. So we replenished the water fresh and got the FC back to 10+ to try to get rid of the discoloration. After a week the FC has come down to 3 but the discoloration has increased slightly.

Any ideas what the discoloration is, how to get rid of it, and if it's safe to swim with it on the floor? Thanks

FC 3
PH 7.5
TA 120
TH 200
CYA 40

If you believe you had algae in the beginning, then more than likely that's still your culprit because even though you raised your FC for a while, you didn't actually complete and pass the 3 SLAM criteria. So I would definitely keep the FC at SLAM/Shock level until you pass all 3 items. In the meantime, yes, it is safe to go in the water as long as you do not exceed your SLAM FC.

Okay, I wanted to rule-out any metal staining. In that case, initiate/complete a SLAM and pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Definitely keep the FC at SLAM/Shock level until you pass all 3 items. In the meantime, you can still go in the water as long as you do not exceed your SLAM FC. At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed. Here is the SLAM page: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain.

Maintain that FC SLAM/Shock level, and good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.