Solar Cover Tips

fatboy1271

LifeTime Supporter
I've seen a couple other Solar Cover Tips threads but I don't want to bring back an old thread... I know some forums frown on reviving old ones.

1. How will my readings be affected?
2. Will I need more or less chlorine/muriatic acid?
3. Will there be an issue with my Nautilus Dolphin running with the cover on?
4. Am I making more of this than I should? :)
===
1. Kidney bean shape
2. Roughly 17000 gallons
3. Will cut to fit
4. Also purchased a reel

right on.

I had a really tough time deciding clear or not.

After I got the blue cover I regretted not getting clear, but now I'm glad I went with blue.

I'm saving about 2ppm of chlorine per day using the blue cover and I can always heat
the pool with my solar panels. The blue does heat the top foot of water, just not
as effectively as clear would.

I have a clear cover and this is my findings...

> No water evaporation

>Very little chlorine consumption & no change in pH with cover on

>My auto vac runs just as well under the cover as it does without plus helps to mix the warm water throughout the pool

I'm glad I went with the clear. It can change the temp of my water by 6 degrees in 24 hrs with good sun.

Hope this helps. ;)

I have a clear cover and this is my findings...

> No water evaporation

>Very little chlorine consumption & no change in pH with cover on

>My auto vac runs just as well under the cover as it does without plus helps to mix the warm water throughout the pool

I'm glad I went with the clear. It can change the temp of my water by 6 degrees in 24 hrs with good sun.

Hope this helps. ;)

That helps a lot layla!!! Thanks so much for the info :)

A cover wont affect the chemistry, but it will affect the temperature. Took mine off tonight and my pool water read 100 friggin degrees!

Hate to think what that does to test results...

I check the temp of the pool every day when I go out there to see if the cover needs to go on or come off because we like 82-84 degrees the best so I adjust the cover for that range. I use a 1/2" PVC pipe about 30" long to get my test water about 2 ft down every time I test so the warmer water near the cover does not affect my readings. I run the auto vac at least every other day to keep it all well mixed and has so far worked to keep the pool sparkling and the right temp for our purposes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
These may seem like dumb questions, but...

Should the cover be cut to the "exact" shape? In the picture below I've rough trimmed to let the cover stretch for a couple days per the instructions.

Should there be no part of the cover climbing the walls and hanging over the top when I clean up the trim job?
If I am to trim to fit does that also include the end that attaches to the reel?

IMAG00193 (2).jpg

I cut mine to fit within the pool, I was afraid that if we had a bad rain storm I'd have a few inches of un-sanitized water sitting in there. With it trimmed to fit the water will go in the pool and get chlorinated.

Plus, I think it looks better LOL.

Dom

I cut mine to fit within the pool, I was afraid that if we had a bad rain storm I'd have a few inches of un-sanitized water sitting in there. With it trimmed to fit the water will go in the pool and get chlorinated.

Plus, I think it looks better LOL.

Dom

Thanks Dom! I agree that this doesn't look good :) Plus I'm really afraid my dog will trip and fall on top :cry:

- - - Updated - - -

My reel came with extension straps that attach to the solar cover with plastic plates and plastic screws. This gives you the leeway to cut an exact fit at the reel end of the pool.

Thanks Eauclaire! Mine too came with straps, plates, and screws. I will cut it to fit this weekend :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.