Cloudy water with perfect levels...?!?!?

Brannon132

Platinum Supporter
May 5, 2015
Enumclaw, Wa
Hey guys I need some help! First water problem in two years...

Went out and looked at the pool today and my brother and his buddies left pool toys in the pool so the pump was running half dry.

While taking stuff it out I noticed the water isn't sparkling it is cloudy and there's little particles in it. So I ran for my tf test kit and evening looks good.

FC - 4.5
CC - 0.0
PH- 7.8
ALK- 90
CYA- 55
Salt-3200
Borats- 40
Hardness-50

Little history- we accidentally left the hose on all night a week ago, I back flushed the next day(smelt really bad). And I was slowly getting the cya back up, that's why it's a little low.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks, Brannon

It's very possible that during that unfortunate time when CYA dropped, your SWG was not able to keep-up with the sun and FC dropped thereby allowing algae to begin (cloud). I would suspect a SLAM is in order. In your case, hopefully it would go fairly quickly, then you could bump you CYA back up to the 70s and press-on.

It does sound like a SLAM situation, having had the same happen to us (leaving hose on overnight and cloudy water the next day). We are currently refilling with well water after a complete drain and I am AMAZED at how disgusting the pool water looked after the first night. I dumped in a small amt of chlorine (since there was no CYA not much was needed to SLAM 1/4 of our pool's volume), and the water is much clearer and particles are settling out rapidly already.

That said, we had an issue sounding like this last year too (not an overflow or refill situation), and it turned out to be our DE filter. The pool was colorlessly cloudy (vs the overflow/refill cloudy, which was greenish yellowish brown). There was a rip in one or more of the sleeves for the filter's fingers. Some of the filter media ended up getting through the filter and became more or less suspended in the pool water, giving us perfect chem levels but cloudy water. I see you have a sand filter... Any DE in there too? We cleaned our filter thoroughly and replaced the ripped sleeves, and it cleared up within a day.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.