Heyward vs. jandy

IzzyB

Jul 29, 2015
Orlando, FL
Do you see a high failure rate in Jandy SWG systems? The one guy seemed to think Hayward was the best (Aqua plus salt system with 40k gallon cell) and the other guy that sells Jandy said to get a regular one that doesn't test the water because he sees high failure rates in the one that tests the water, but reading it seems jandy in general sucks. What do you guys think?

Hayward and Jandy are both good units. I would choose the Hayward because it gives diagnostics. Jandy is good other than the trisensors.

Thanks. I got scared because I read some bad things about Jandy, but I don't think I should pick my pool company based on what equipment they use either. I also read bad things about Jandy heaters too.

My trisensor failed earlier this summer during its 7th season, that was the first sensor issue I have had since I installed the AquaPure 1400 in 2009. The replacement sensor design is completely different, it now has two probes instead of the three that the original had, it also has a control module inline with the cable where you select an A or B mode depending on the board the sensor is plugging in to and it has its own flow indication. So far it has worked flawlessly, hopefully Jandy has solved their sensor issues with this latest design.

My Jandy equipment has been fantastic and my AquPure does a great job. I did replace the dreaded sensor just in the past week for the aquapure 1400 with the supposed fixed model which has gotten great reviews and so for no issues reported by anyone on this forum that i have run across. Of course I am now knocking on wood and it is still early. If I had to do it over again, I would still pick Jandy just because for me it has done a great job keeping my chlorine level very, very steady..

Most of the time the three leading brands are comparable.

One buys these products and keeps them for a long time. Dealers sell only one brand. So its difficult to get reliable comparisons from disinterested observers.

Go to a couple of pool stores and ask about the equipment you are interested in. Unlike pool builders many sell multiple brands and can explain the differences. Now you never know if the guy you are talking to has blood flowing with chlorine or just saw his first pool yesterday but by going to a couple of places you can often gain some insight into various pieces of equipment.

Most of the time the three leading brands are comparable.

One buys these products and keeps them for a long time. Dealers sell only one brand. So its difficult to get reliable comparisons from disinterested observers.

Go to a couple of pool stores and ask about the equipment you are interested in. Unlike pool builders many sell multiple brands and can explain the differences. Now you never know if the guy you are talking to has blood flowing with chlorine or just saw his first pool yesterday but by going to a couple of places you can often gain some insight into various pieces of equipment.

That is a good idea. I know we have two local pool stores and one is more knowledgeable than the other. The one guy has been there forever or at least since we owned a pool. So I will try that. Never thought to ask about equipment since we already had our equipment the first time I went to the store.

- - - Updated - - -

The equipment should certainly be a factor in choosing a pool builder.

But if each brand is pretty much the same, why should the brand they use factor into my decision? My issue is the one guy is 8k more expensive that uses Hayward. But if Jandy salt and heaters are truly not good it may be worth the extra money. Now we do need to go back to the cheaper one and add in the pebble surface (which will bring the price up) the 8k guy also has the SWG that tests the water and texts you when it needs salt. The lower price guy said those fail a lot and not to get it. The 8k guy says they last up to 10 years. Not sure which one to believe on that one and the only thing I could think it was that they use different brands. That Jandy ones fail more often. But it sounds like they had an issue that they have since fixed.

That is a good idea. I know we have two local pool stores and one is more knowledgeable than the other. The one guy has been there forever or at least since we owned a pool. So I will try that. Never thought to ask about equipment since we already had our equipment the first time I went to the store.

- - - Updated - - -

But if each brand is pretty much the same, why should the brand they use factor into my decision? My issue is the one guy is 8k more expensive that uses Hayward. But if Jandy salt and heaters are truly not good it may be worth the extra money. Now we do need to go back to the cheaper one and add in the pebble surface (which will bring the price up) the 8k guy also has the SWG that tests the water and texts you when it needs salt. The lower price guy said those fail a lot and not to get it. The 8k guy says they last up to 10 years. Not sure which one to believe on that one and the only thing I could think it was that they use different brands. That Jandy ones fail more often. But it sounds like they had an issue that they have since fixed.
I know a lot less than these other guys, but a swcg that texts you when you're low on salt sounds, well, useless. You really are going to add salt a lot less than you think. You'll be testing your chlorine/pH ect levels way more often than checking your salt level. I have a Jandy and no issues.

And I've had all Hayward equipment including their AquaRite T-15 SWG for ten years. With the exception of replacing my pump with a VS to save energy its all still working fine.

But in addition to which brand a pool builder uses you should be looking at which model, size, features of each individual piece of equipment. How big is the filter, VS or two speed pump, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And I've had all Hayward equipment including their AquaRite T-15 SWG for ten years. With the exception of replacing my pump with a VS to save energy its all still working fine.

But in addition to which brand a pool builder uses you should be looking at which model, size, features of each individual piece of equipment. How big is the filter, VS or two speed pump, etc.

That stuff we are already looking at. All of them are using comparable sizes and stuff. Like we have requested variable speed from all vendors. All of them normally do VS except one who likes 2 speed. We pretty much have already eliminated that guy from the list though. It was more the brand that was different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.