Algae Problems - pool service guy said I may have to drain my pool!!!

Jul 30, 2015
Katy, TX
I have had my 30,000 gallon in ground pool now for about 9 months. We used the pool just last weekend and it was fine - woke up Tuesday and it was really green. I live in Texas and its been 101 and sunny for 2 weeks strait. I shocked the pool like I have before and the next morning it was still green and when brushing some of the green algae is not coming off. I had a pool service come out and they recommended draining!! It was fine last weekend! I went to Leslies and they suggested to not drain it, all my levels were fine in the water test except low chlorine count. They then sold my algaecide and told me to shock the pool, wait 2 hours, then add the algeacide. It definitely had a good effect - pool is much less green, water is pretty clear, but there are still some algae spots.

Can I repeat the process and get rid of the rest?
How often do you need to drain your pool - the service guy said around every 4 years.
My filter keeps hitteing high PSI and I backwash and add more DE - is this normal with this extreme weather (like I said, weeks of 101 degrees and sunny)?

Feeling exasperated - keep getting different info from everyone.
I am using Leslies shock and copper algaecide.

Thanks!!!!!

Hello and welcome! I'll get right to the facts/recommendation though: :)
- Stop using algaecide or other pool store products. Algaecide can often add copper to water. :(
- You need to take charge of your pool with the proper test kit. That's #1. Please see: TFTestkits.net and Pool School - Test Kits Compared
- Green water .. SLAM (Not shock). Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain But you need the right test kit first!
- please review the following and keep these pages handy:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

For now, simply add one gallon of regular bleach in your pool each evening until your test kit arrives. When it does, post for us: FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP!

if you've only had the pool 9 months and you've had to shock multiple times and buy expensive chemicals at the pool store, then you hopefully have come to the conclusion that the methods you've been using so far are not sufficient. Follow the recommendation above to clear the pool (test kit and SLAM procedure), maintain the proper FC levels going forward according to the TFPC methodology, and you will never have to shock your pool. And you will never have to drain your pool.

if you've only had the pool 9 months and you've had to shock multiple times and buy expensive chemicals at the pool store, then you hopefully have come to the conclusion that the methods you've been using so far are not sufficient. Follow the recommendation above to clear the pool (test kit and SLAM procedure), maintain the proper FC levels going forward according to the TFPC methodology, and you will never have to shock your pool. And you will never have to drain your pool.
Let's not oversell TFP.
I would say you MAY never have to drain. In hard water areas, buildup of high CH can be unavoidable and the only remedy is either drain or RO treatment. RO treatment is very expensive and not available in most areas. I find that I have to drain every few years just to lower the CH.

I would suggest immediately firing the pool guy. Your water is next to new and you've got such problems. The use of copper algaecides is not good practice-the copper can make the water green as well as blond hair. Algaecides are better at *prevention* but next to worthless at *killing algae*. :grrrr:

Your pool is full of algae cooties and whatever unnecessary products that have been added. This makes the water near impossible to clear up if you continue to use those methods. The only one enjoying your situation is the pool store whose selling you all this stuff.

Liquid chlorine, and a lot of it, is all you need to clear your pool up with. Oh, and a respected pool test kit. I prefer the TF-100 which can be had via TFTestkits.net or the Taylors K-2006 which can be found on Amazon and occasionally locally. No other test kits will give you the precise numbers we need to work with to get that pool healthy again.
:sunny:
Questions? Toss 'em at us.... we'd love for you to love your pool as much as we love ours. :paddle::snorkle:

HI and welcome!

As you have already found----------the pool store really does not know how to fix a pool or help you maintain it. They LOVE to sell you stuff and when that does not work sell you some more :(

If you listen and do as said above:

-order test kit
-put 1 jug of bleach in a day until test kit gets there.

Do NOT go to the pool store again.

We can/will get your pool cleared up and it will stay clearer than you have ever seen it since you filled it!

Kim

Thank you everybody for your help!! I will immediately get a test kit and some bleach! Ill post agian once I get the kit with the levels stated above.

- - - Updated - - -

Do I add the bleach directly into the pool or add it to the skimmer?

into the pool where the water is returning from the filter. You can also brush and skimmer/rake out any debris if possible, this will help distribute the Chlorine as well. All chemicals added in this process go into the pool where there is good water flow from the filter returns.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's not oversell TFP.
I would say you MAY never have to drain. In hard water areas, buildup of high CH can be unavoidable and the only remedy is either drain or RO treatment. RO treatment is very expensive and not available in most areas. I find that I have to drain every few years just to lower the CH.

OK, you'll never drain due to algae or other chemicals you've added during your pool care. Higher end CH can be manageable. Once the SLAM is completed we'll test the pool water and the tap water, assuming s/he refills from tap, to see where the CH is.

..................My filter keeps hitteing high PSI and I backwash and add more DE - is this normal with this extreme weather...........

The quantity of DE that you add to the filter after backwash should be around 80% of the recommended amount. Adding full 100% of required DE should be done only after the filters are opened and cleaned. But, after backwash, 80% is a good measure.
If you keep adding 100% of the DE everytime you backwash, the filter can get clogged and you will reach high PSI pretty quickly.

Maybe the experts can chime in..but since you have had your pool for 9 months, it probably is a good idea to open the filter and clean it ... add 100% recommended DE.. just a thought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With your pump on in filter mode, Add the gallon of bleach where the return water is coming back into your pool that way the return water will help circulate it quickly. Also after you add the bleach brush the entire floor area below, and wall area around the return where the bleach was added because the bleach is heavier than the water, and some will settle on the pool floor. Plus you also want to get that bleach mixed in well, and get it moving along, and working for you also.

Welcome!

Be sure to keep the filter running 24/7 right now & brush the entire pool at least once a day.

Once you you get your test kit we'll really get to killin' some algae.

Dom

Thank you everybody for your help!! I will immediately get a test kit and some bleach! Ill post agian once I get the kit with the levels stated above.

Just want to make sure you know it's very important to get the correct test kit (the links already provided by others, TF-100 or K-2006). Do not buy just any test kit and do not listen to anyone who tells you theirs is good enough.

harmonra62, I am a Newbie here too who also had algae issues. You are correct when you say these people here are "Awesome." I too was blown away by this site, and how "awesome" the people here are. Plus they know what they are talking about, and how to permanently kill that algae. I've often referred to them as Algae Warriors lol. Trust what they tell you, do what they tell you to do, do it how they tell you to do it, and they will have your pool clear in no time. Your pool will be in better condition than it has ever been, and you will gain the knowledge, and know-how in order to keep it that way yourself.
Feel free to ask any questions you have along the way, and someone here will gladly answer it for you. Everyone here is here to help you and nobody on this site will lead you in the wrong direction, so trust them. Have a wonderful day, and welcome. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.