UV system sanitation - Anyone with experience?

I know there were a few threads where people did not even realize their UV system had stopped working, since they were maintaining adequate FC levels anyway. So if it is not obvious when it fails ... how much can it really be helping?

he just adds one puck to his skimmer once a week.

I used to do that too (but I needed 2 because I had 18,000 gals), and I had trouble free pool withOUT a uv system until it caught up with me.

You should tell your friend to get the puck out of the skimmer, and use a float. It takes it's toll on the plastics, pvc, pump, filter, and gaskets. It's just too concentrated.

See this post I recently wrote on another thread about UV. Read the linked thread about someone with a similar situation but using ozone. Your friend's pool was using low chlorine and not getting algae not because of the UV system, but because their pool was likely poor in algae nutrients. We get some people reporting about their pools or friends pools who use Trichlor pucks and don't get algae in spite of low FC/CYA ratios. If there aren't enough algae nutrients or if one is using algaecide, then lower FC/CYA levels will keep algae at bay.

Now UV and ozone systems will kill what gets circulated through them, but they do nothing for any algae or pathogens stuck to pool surfaces or that otherwise do not get circulated. That's the purpose of the disinfectant that leaves a residual in the water, namely chlorine.

It seems you are determined to get one and are just looking for that one person to say "yep, I love mine" so you can convince yourself to get one. You have already been shown a mountain of evidence that they are not a worthwhile addition to an outdoor pool, if that isn't enough for you then you might as well just get one.

TFPC is a very simple, cost efficient, and effective system for maintaining a consistently pristine pool. If you would rather drop several hundred on a UV light and just throw a puck in your skimmer and hope it stays clear then go right ahead, it is your pool. Nobody here will stop you. We just want you to know the facts, not "my pool is ok so it must work" testimonials.

I don't have anything to add to the subject, but as a new pool owner who is handling all of the maintenance myself (who has never had a pool in my life and learned everything here), I can confidently say that my best choice was to go with a saltwater generator. I think a SWG is the closest thing you'll find to a "trouble free pool".

Add some CYA, borax, and then aerate to get the TA to proper levels and you're on your way to perfect water, with little hassle. A splash of MA every few days and throw the robot in the water once or twice a week is pretty much it for me.

I did my pool as an owner build, but before I made that decision, I was interviewing a few pb's who were pushing ozone systems, but I always got the impression it was a sales pitch. Perhaps it's a nice thing to have and if you've made up your mind, then go for it and let us know how you like it. My hunch is that if you decide not to do it, you probably wouldn't regret it.

To simplify my life,

As Corleone and chiefwej notes, a saltwater chlorine generator reduces maintenance since that appears to be your primary goal. Neither UV nor ozone will reduce maintenance. As I wrote, if you wanted to reduce the amount and level of chlorine perhaps by half then you use an algaecide or phosphate remover (at extra cost, of course).

I feel enough has been said, so the thread can be closed in a day or two.

Threads are generally not closed unless they get wildly diverted or go round in circles or get nasty in some way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.