What is a normal frequency for adding bleach?

Jul 30, 2015
Coweta/Ok
Have been trying to find what is considered normal maintenance for adding bleach. I just put in a pool and have been testing daily trying to get my CYA level up. CYA is now running 50, but I keep ending the day with an FC reading of 1. I am adding 1 gallon 10% bleach daily. Is this normal? The water looks great, just seams like a lot of bleach on a daily basis.

Welcome to the forum!

If you don't have salt water, then your Cya is fine and needs no increase.

Sounds like a little much Chlorine demand, but not drastic. What else is going on, and what does your water look like? Can you answer these, and post a set of full test results please?

If you are in full sun for most of the day 1 gallon a day might be right.

my pool needs 1 gallon of 8.25% in full sun (CYA 40 but bumping it to 50 to help it use less)

one thing that also helps, is if you have a non-clear solar cover, that helps keep the sun UV
rays from burning off chlorine.

When it's overcast for multiple days in a row, my pool needs 1 gallon every 3 days like clock work.

It does seem a little high. I would conduct an OCLT to see if you have anything growing. My pool was sparkly clear but I noticed a higher chlorine demand and failed OCLT. A SLAM fixed things up.

You have a big pool. In the hot OK sun. Maybe a lot of bathers some days...?

Normal daily losses of FC are aprox 2-3ppm. Adding one gallon (128oz) of 10% liquid chlorine (assuming it *still is* 10% and not degraded) will only give you 3.7ppm of FC (per PoolMath). So it doesn't seem like you're using more than expected for July to me.

Sorry I have been away for so long, running 50 different directions.

From what I read about the OCLT test, that could be the issue. I will do an OCLT tonight and see what that says. I have been fighting algae for a couple weeks. I get it cleared up, then boom one day it is cloudy and the floor is green. It has been mostly clear, but not as sparkling as it was from the start, so my guess is that I never get all the algae killed off. Will post test results.

Don't feel bad. I'm using about 3/4 of gallon of 10% per day and keep my FC at 9ish. My CYA is 75. Pool temp us 85-90 degree. 9-10 hours full sunlight. I buy my bleach 20 gallons at a time lol My pool is crystal clear. I haven't had swimmers since July 4th. 2 gallons of 10% bleach is 4.50 at the local pool supply store. I wish my PH was as easy to maintain!! That uses about a gallon a week

Thank you TFP !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you know you have algae don't bother with the OCLT, go straight to the SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Agreed. If you know you have algae, kill it. Kill it now. And don't neglect the hiding spots: Problem Found and Ideas needed

PS: Now you see the beauty of self-testing. You suspected something was wrong based on test results! If you just added some fixed amount of bleach every day, you would never see how much you actually need to add and you would have been blissfully unaware until one morning the whole pool is green.

To sort of answer your original question, once my pool was more balanced, I have to add chlorine every day to two days. Also depends on the circumstances. We had a walloping great thunderstorm here this morning and tons of detritus in the pool, so I added extra to make sure and kill off anything else that might have blown in.

I went ahead and did an evening and morning test. Looks like I finally have the algae killed.

Last night tests: cya 55, ph 7.5, ta 70, fc 8.5, cc 1
Morning tests fc 8.5, cc .5

Water is still a little cloudy, but nearly there. I think a few more filter washes, and floor vacuum should do the trick.

Thanks for the help. It is great to be able to test and fix.

I went ahead and did an evening and morning test. Looks like I finally have the algae killed.

Last night tests: cya 55, ph 7.5, ta 70, fc 8.5, cc 1
Morning tests fc 8.5, cc .5

Water is still a little cloudy, but nearly there. I think a few more filter washes, and floor vacuum should do the trick.

Thanks for the help. It is great to be able to test and fix.
You completed a SLAM in one day?

If your water is still cloudy you are not done.

What level did you raise your FC to?

Dom

I raised my FC to 15 for the last two days. Even though it passed OCLT today, I went ahead and raised it to 15 again. Will be checking everything again tonight.

I will keep testing OCLT for a couple days and see if it changes. It is getting cooler at night, so the pool is peaking at about 90 right now. Has been running 97.

I raised my FC to 15 for the last two days. Even though it passed OCLT today, I went ahead and raised it to 15 again. Will be checking everything again tonight.

I will keep testing OCLT for a couple days and see if it changes. It is getting cooler at night, so the pool is peaking at about 90 right now. Has been running 97.
Why did you pick 15ppm for a SLAM. For your CYA you should be SLAMing at 24ppm.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.