What is CH target for fiberglass pool?

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I've been testing and adjusting my water for one week now (brand new pool and brand new owner!). Thanks to this site, I'm happier with the numbers every day!

My latest question is, what should be my CH target number be for a fiberglass pool? Mine right now is very low, and PoolMath is recommending I add 48 pounds of calcium chloride to get to 260 ppm. That seems a bit drastic to me, so I'd like to get some advice before putting that much in. I understand how important it would be if I had a concrete pool, but do I have to go that high for fiberglass?

Here are my numbers today:
temp 84°
FC 4
CC 0
pH 7.5
CH 25
TA 110
CYA 20
CSI -0.83

I just put in bleach and stabilizer yesterday, so I expect the CYA to rise over the next few days. It's been 0, so I saw the dot disappear for the first time today!

What I always do is pre-dissolve the calcium in a bucket of water and then slowly pour it in the turbulent water at the return in the deep end.... at least that is what the PB advised me to do. Bear in mind that the calcium chloride, when mixed with water, is going to get HOT, so take it a little easy and make a few pours of less CC, rather than one scary big one....

I *think* the explanation is that no one knows if the fiberglass pool company used calcium in their construction. If they did you'd want to have some in there to prevent it from leaching out into the water (like its seeking equilibrium or something?) so having some there covers all bases.

It isn't always required, but doesn't hurt either....just in case. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.