How do i get rid of dead algae

Welcome to TFP!

Can you post up a full set of test results? To ensure you have killed the algae, you need to follow the SLAM process. The filter can then catch up and remove the dead algae.

free chlorine 2.04 Total chlorine 2.04 combined chl 0 ph 7.8 hardnes 198 alkalinity 108
cyanuric acid 82ppm copper 0.2 iron 0 borate 0

- - - Updated - - -

Ive tried vacuuming to waste, it appears clean i turn the filter off when all is settled i see dirt looking particle all over pool duraleigh

Those would,appear,to be test results from a pool store. Their results are almost always questionable.

You need to get your own FAS-DPD test kit and take control yourself. The TF100 is the most cost effective kit. Plus, pick up,the XL option as you will be conducting a SLAM.

If you confirm the high CYA with your test kit you will need to do a partial drain/refill before you SLAM.

That doesn't have the FAS/DPD test that you need for chlorine. The only tests recommended are the TF100 TFTestkits.net or the Taylor 2006. You can order the TF100 and I would get the XL option as you are going to have to perform a SLAM and a speed stir is a nice option.

- - - Updated - - -

I would wait until you get the test kit as you can't accurately test the water. Just add about 1/2 to 1 gallon of bleach depending on the size of your pool each night until you get your test kit. It would help us to give better advice if you filled out your signature line!

Be careful comparing prices on line. The Taylor K2006 kits have several sizes denoted by a letter. The "C" kit is the most comparable to the TF100. If you buy the basic K2006 kit it's about $50 on line, but it does t have sufficient reagents to conduct a SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now follow the SLAM process knowing that your CYA is 60ppm and you hand to maintain the FC at something liked 24ppm (check the chart).

Be sure to use 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD chlorine test so that each drop is 0.5ppm and you can save the reagents. You may still run out.

This is where continuing to vacuum/sweep and filter will help to catch any residual dead organic material as it flows back to your filtration system. That could still take a day or two, but should eventually clear-up. Now that you've experienced a SLAM, if your water should ever appear cloudy or you see evidence of algae, you know what to do. If you don't see any improvement in a day or two, let us know. Congratulations on passing your SLAM. :goodjob:

Hello, I'm wondering what is causing the black dead algae to stick around. I vacuum my pool with a cordless vac the pool is spotless once i turn the pool filter on the black stuff returns in the cracks of the pool im so done already. i was wondering is it my filter help me please

You will get there, I promise.

Even though I passed my OCLT I had a similar issue, and had to double my FC levels for a few more days to resolve the issue. That's probably what you need to do too because your slam was done fairly quickly and you might not have got it all.

Could you post a pic of what you are seeing? I want to ensure it is algae and not just dirt/dust because that stuff is bad right now.

If you are certain you passed all 3 criteria for OCLT then Per the Chlorine/CYA chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock With your CYA of 60, your FC Target level is 7ppm, so double that, and raise and maintain your FC level to 14ppm for a few more days, and that should take care of the issue.
If that doesn't resolve it you'll need to go back up to Slam shock level but we'll cross that bridge if we have to, but hopefully you won't have to.

Also continue with the sweeping and vacuuming and ALSO try placing a knee high panty hose or a skimmer sock in your skimmer basket to help trap more of the smaller particles. Here is a thread that I wrote on the benefits of putting a knee high in the skimmer basket there are other items that can be used as well in the comments of the thread. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-on-the-town-or-a-Winter-hunting-trip-anymore

EDIT: Also a lot of times the stuff is so fine that the vacuum when it hits it just sends it into a million dust particles back into the water so that's where the knee high or skimmer sock etc. will come in very handy.

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful night :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.