Is there a reason NOT to have an eyeball on a return?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
This is the first season with the pool. The pool has two returns- one has a 3/4" eyeball (at the front corner of the pool), the other has nothing (at the side of the pool-this one is several inches deeper in the water than the other). I never thought much about it and figured that's how it was intended, but I looked at it closer and noticed there were threads to screw in an eyeball. Is there a reason this one would not have an eyeball?

Now that you mention it, I think they may have had a pressure assisted vacuum- there were some parts that I asked for identification on here, and there was some sort of pressure regulator....I would think more directed flow with an eyeball would help move water towards the skimmer. Maybe I'll have to try adding one. I don't know what it will do to my filter pressure, or if there's a target pressure to stay below. Right now I run at 7-9psi

Adding the eyeball will increase your filter pressure but that doesn't hurt a thing. Just remember that is your new "clean" psi.

If you need to screw in something else, you can simply unscrew the eyeball.

I have 2 returns and no eyeballs. Everything seems to be good with circulation luckily, as it looks like when the pool was re-plastered (don't know when exactly), the plaster went a little into the returns and they didn't bother to clean it out. So no eyeballs for me as I'm not going to attempt to chip it out. If it ain't broke ....

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.